Can you give your child too much love?

I love my 1 year old son with all my heart. He is my pride and joy just as everyother mother world say about there child! Well Im asking this because all my friends and family say that my son is too attached to my husband and i! Wellhell isnt that what were here for. We dont spoil him but on the other had we never have a sitter so my son has never been away from us. I just feel that i will only be able toi baby him and and do things for him for so long before he grows up! Am i wrong for wrapping my self and heart around my baby boy? I try and i really thought i was a good parent. Im just tired of the critisim. Its like a lose lose situation! idk

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hun, know there is a distict difference between loving your babe and being selfish. i've never met a parent who had an independent child who didn't love them. take pride in what they do on their own and be their support. instead of doing everything for them watch intentively and praise them (i hold little mini parties when i see a kiddo do something super awesomely independent), take pictures when they do things that are AWAY FROM YOU. that way, they still love, need, want you and your hubby around- you feel like parents AND your not raising a mama's boy that all his future girlfriends will hate and blame you for. start off small, have him hang out with other adults at your social get togethers, then get a babysitter to watch when you are home, then start sneaking out for a couple of hours and vwola. you'll have a strong, independant, all around loving little kiddo and his future teachers will be thankful.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 8:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Too much love? Never.

You have a child who feels close to you and trusts you. This is a good thing. The hard part is retaining this through the teen years.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If he's shy, it would help if you had more people around, but it certainly doesn't mean you should be giving him up to anyone else! He's 1! Our society is so focused on rushing our children to be independent, and then we wonder why kids are having sex at such young ages. Duh! Sorry to get off topic, lol! You're doing fine, he'll be fine, tell everyone else that he's got plenty of time to grow up still!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• We are the same way with are 14 month old DD we have never left her either and she is still in our room in her crib. So no you are not the only mother out here that"babies there child" I am not ready to leave her or have her out of our room. That's why we are called the parents and they are called the family and friends.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I dont think you can EVER love a kiddo too much- BUT that being said, remember to take time for you and your husband girl :) You will BOTH be BETTER parents if you maintain a strong marraige and time with just the two of you is important- it is SO hard to do at first- you feel guilty, you don't know WHAT to talk about with your husband besides the little one- but one night a week lets baby get used to other people and lets you and your amazing husband reconnect with eachother :)
    You do not want to be married for 20 years and then hvae the kids move out of the house only to look across the table and wonder WHO is this guy?! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I love each of my children in a simular way to what you describe. They are my world, I am still me and have things I do when my children are sleeping, however I believe that when I took on the mantel of mother hood it was not for others to watch my children. If you don't want to spend time away from your children then don't! I personally never feel the need to be away from my children. Parent by your instincts as long as they are not harmful to your children (which in this case it is not) Don't listen to those who criticize you, we all all very different people, our parenting skills differ, one parenting style is not better then another, however your parenting style is best for you and your child and more people need to accept that!

Good luck Momma stay strong and follow your Mommy instincts
    Anonymous