Ultrasound/Hearbeat

Hi everyone! I recently found out I'm pregnant(Yay!) with a home pregnancy test. I go to the doctor on 8/3 (to confirm my pregnancy). If I calculated correctly, I will be about 8 weeks at that point.
I know each doctor is probably different, but did anyone have an ultrasound or hear your baby's heartbeat at your first visit? I would like to know what to expect, and my husband will be working. It's hard for him to get time off, but if we're going to be doing anything like an ultrasound, he'd be there. Thanks, everyone!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had to schedule it and went back the week after my pregnancy was confirmed. I had my first ultrasound at 7-8 weeks.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• No, definitely not at the first visit. You may get an ultrasound, some use it to determine gestational age, but the heartbeat will be too faint to hear. Once you DO get to hear the heartbeat however, they will listen at every appt, so your hubby will be able to get to hear it at some point.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thats not true, we heard our sons very strongly at the first ultrasound.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 11:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I just want to say, I'm so happy I found a website like this with helpful people like you! Thank you!

Ashlie, how far along were you when you heard your son's heartbeat?
    And did they have to schedule it?
    TP1283

Answer by TP1283 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I seen my doc for the first time at 6 weeks and she said that you can't pick up a heartbeat with a regular heartrate monitor until about 10 weeks , but I had my first U.S. at 7 weks due to a previous miscarriage and we could see my son( he looked like a sucker holding a balloon LOL) he didn't move or have arms or legs yet but we could see him and she picked up a slight heartbeat off and on. I hope that you get to see and hear yours! It's an awesome feeling to see your son or daughter for the first time
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 11:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• they say its faintly to hear at 6-8 weeks but you can see the strength of it but every one is different
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I went to my first at 11 weeks I heard the heartbeat and got an ultrasound. If its hard for him to get off work them he should wait until the GENDER ULTRASOUND that would probably be best. It will be to soon for u to hear a good strong heartbeat and the ultrasound will just show a fuzzy mass that just looks like a ball of fuzz or maybe a seahorse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• it depends on your insurance. most only allow 1, which is done at the 20 wk u/s. i had 3 done, one to confirm how far along i was, bc i wasn't measuring where i should have been using my LMP, 20 wk, then another after that bc they couldn't get all the pics they needed. i didn't hear the hb until i think i was 12 wks.
    next time, i plan on getting only 1. and that is just to ease my husbands mind.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thanks again, everyone! I might call the dr and see what she says because it seems like every dr is different.
    TP1283

Answer by TP1283 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• at your first visit they most likely wont do a ultra sound i know they didnt at my first appointment but i was 11 weeks and 4 days at my first appoint ment and they used the doopler thing that let me hear my babies heart beat for a few seconds but my doctor said straight out it was a long shot to find the heart beat with that because you normally cant hear it until your atleast 12 to 13 weeks along expecally if your on the big side
    MrandMrsDiego

Answer by MrandMrsDiego at 10:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009