Hi! I'm a new mommy, just had my boy on june 26th. I'm having trouble with night feeding? He only drinks one ounce and wakes up every hour. I'm also having trouble burping him. He doesn't burp, then later on I find hi, puking milk.

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try using different positions to burp him. Over the shoulder never worked for me well, but if I put him belly down on my knee, rocked my knee and patted his back, he would usually give me a nice burp. Also make sure he's drinking and not getting too many air bubbles. Mylicon is pretty much harmless, and it definitely helps with the air bubbles in there. You can give him half a drop after every feeding if it helps. Don't worry so much about the spit up. He'll do that, and it may seem like a lot, but it's usually not. As long as he's gaining weight, you should be fine. As for waking up every hour, well, that really sucks! You could try putting him back to sleep w/o a feeding, and then if he wakes up again he'll drink 2 oz and sleep for two hours, but that might just stress you both out even more, and it's not something I would personally do. Good luck and congrats on your new little one!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:12 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• For burping I sat the baby on my lap, supported his head and chest with my left hand, and rubbed his back with my right hand.

Answer by Bmat at 11:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It's very common to wake that often at that age... but if he's only taking an ounce, maybe he's not hungry, try something else to soothe

For burping, we found that bouncing on our knee helped more than the back pats. We would sit him upright on our lap and support his head and then bounce him... the burps would come right out. Although he was never a spitty guy, so I don't know if it would make it worse.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Anonymous

• My pediatrician told me that baby's stomachs are only the size of their fists at this age, so they can't eat that much. From what I know this could be normal at this age, my nephew woke up every hour to eat too, but he was breastfed, and my poor sister was exhausted. Although I believe that babies that are formula fed should be able to go longer between feedings because formula takes longer to digest than breast milk. I also read that babies that eat very often and spit up a lot could have acid reflux, they also have very loose bowel movements that irritate their anus a lot because of the acidity in the poop. If you're baby seems to fit these problems talk to his doctor about it. Good luck.
    pgaytan

Answer by pgaytan at 1:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2009