Help on nightweening 14mo old?

I need to nightween my 14mo old or at least cut him down to nursing 1-2 times a night. I'm going be having surgery soon and don't think I can handle nursing 15 times a night after that not to mention he is making his reflux worse nursing so much. anyways...Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think it would confuse hime to let him nurse only twice a night but not the rest, or would it be easier to not let him nurse at night at all? Would it be easier to have him sleep in his own bed while night weening (we co-sleep most of the night)? We will not do cio with him. We are willing to let him cry why we hold and rock him but will not let him cry alone. He's already in a toddler bed due to climbing out of his crib already. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe in extended breastfeeding and will not let him CIO alone.
Besides he can not handle milk or formula so those wouldn't even be a possible replacements for him.

PoetryRavn

Asked by PoetryRavn at 12:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's tough. Last week I finally let my 2 year old CIO for the first time. He was only getting up once a night. I went in every few minutes and rubbed his back and told him it was time to go to sleep. The first night it took him about an hour, the second maybe 20 minutes. He hasn't gotten up since then. I know you don't want to leave him alone, will he stay in the bed if you sit on the floor? I know with my son, if I'm holding him, he just wants to nurse and gets more frustrated because he doesn't understand why I won't let him.

Not nursing at night might be easier. I think he might be confused that sometimes he can and sometimes he can't. I just keep telling my son we are saving the milk for before nap and bed. When he asks during other parts of the day he is fine with that. Now that I've been refusing at night he's stopped getting up.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Sorry my answer is such a ramble. I know our situations are different and I don't have a great solution for you. But I do understand how difficult it is. Good luck to you.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009