Fusterated w/female cats!

I love my cats dearly. I first wanna make that statement. We have three 2 female and one male. The male is 14 weeks and was the only survivor of the older cats first litter-he was nutered last week. They are all indoor/outdoor. We live on a farm so they have a really good life. The problem is that I want to spay them. I love animals and I don't want to contribute to the unwanted pet problems. Our oldest female had a litter 2 weeks ago. We have 5 babies-beautiful and perfect. The other female was supposed to be spayed on Aug 5th but is now pg for the first time. I am told that a female cat can become pg even while still nursing a litter! How am I ever going to get these cats spayed???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pets

• I normally have my fems spayed in Winter because the chance of being pregnant is very low. I don't believe in abortion for humans or animals.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• u could just keep them inside until they are spayed, i know alot of people who did that.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 4:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Keep them inside while they're nursing, cats still get their heat cycles while lactating. Get them spayed when the kittens are old enough to eat on their own but are still nursing momma, about 4 to 5 weeks old. That way they're weaned and she's sterile and won't get pregnant.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If you don't want to contribute to the unwanted pet pop then get her spayed anyway the vet will do it still and they do it all the time.

And if anyone wants to bash me go ahead ITS A CAT!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yup it is a cat....but it isn't right to take a cats babies away. Let me guess...you would drown an unwanted litter??? Alie this is for you. My vet will not even spay a pregnant female.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Getting the cat spayed now is the equivelent of aborting. Whether you want to do that or not depends on your stance on abortion. Personally, I'd have it done now. But if you let the female have this litter be prepared to sterilize every single cat she has and then either keep them or rehome them. Don't just let them keep breeding or make the shelter take care of this mess.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• i would either have the vet abort the babies and deal with the guilty conschents (sp) or keep them inside for 6 weeks after they have their litters and get them spayed thats is really ur only options
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 8:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My vet won't spay a female while nursing because of the danger of nicking the milk vein and causing a massive infection. The way I finally got our cat spayed was to take her and the kittens inside, and keep mama cat IN till the kittens were weaned and take her right to the vet and get her fixed.
    I agree you have to make sure all these cats get fixed.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with SalemWitchChild. Also, I have been in the veterinary field since 1991 and I've seen and heard it all, including excuses and "dilemmas." Keep the cats separated until the kittens are weaned or close enough if you are so against aborting them (or if Mom is too far along to do so . Get Mom(s) spayed, then save your pennies and GET THOSE KITTENS SPAYED/NEUTERED AT 5 OR 6 MONTHS of age without fail. EVERYONE needs to be altered ASAP. Besides the over pet-population, there are several health issues involved that will take your much loved cats' lives away. Don't worry if you have to contain them to a single room or area in the house. They may get mad, but tough tooties. It's for their own good, your piece of mind and for the community. Best to you and yours.
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• keep them inside until you can get them in. Some vets charge extra to abort the babies during spaying but honestly I wouldn't do that. But thats me.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2009