My dh just left for Afganistan....

and my 2.5 y/o dd is losing it. We made the HORRIBLE mistake of dropping her at preK before dropping dh at the airport. Idiotic I KNOW!. So she feels like daddy just disappeared. She is sleeping in her closet, when she has NEVER slept anywhere but her big girl bed(and that was never an issue with me switching from crib to bed) and clinging to me, being very whiney and hyper, and then very tantrum-y.
I am carrying on the same as before he left, with lots of cuddles, special time together, same rules and discipline as before, same schedule and routine. But I was wondering if there was anything else I should be doing?
Military moms out there, please help, I don't know if I am doing this right and if I am not, I need some help. Thanks so much all my fellow geographically single military moms!

mama4Christ361

Asked by mama4Christ361 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First let me say thank you to you and your husband for keeping my family safe! And I'm so sorry that he had to go and leave you!

I think that your daughter will be fine, sounds like you're doing everything you can and should to me. Can you do a video conference with your hubby so she can at least see him? That might help.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• No beating yourself up ovr what's done. You can't change it, just learn from it. Tell yourself you won't do it again and move on.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. If he can talk to you on the phone or do a videoconference, those things will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• We can't do webcams at the moment as dh has no reliable inet access. We have had her talk to him on the phone twice already, which is seeming to help a little.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• Girl I am so very sorry! I will be learning from you though... I hope that she is doing better soon! hugs to you!
    gidget1988

Answer by gidget1988 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• LOL Thanks Bridget! I get to do all the hard stuff first and you get to have the how-to guide! LOL That sucks! LOL
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2009