How would you handle a nurse giving your baby a vaccine that you never approved of?

My baby rec'd her 6 month vaccinations yesterday. Her older brother is autistic so I am hesitant to give vaccinations at the same pace that is normally scheduled.

I have withheld the Hep B vaccine from her knowing that she is not at risk right now. I planned on giving it to her in the future.

The nurse told me "She is getting the same vaccinations she had last time" I trusted that and then realized about a second too late that she had an extra vaccine... THE HEP B!!!!

I was furious but kept my calm. I advised the nurse what she just did and she apologized but it is not like you can take a vaccine back.

How would you handle this matter so it is dealt with appropriately?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could sue for malpractice
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 12:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Make a complaint with the department she works for, she made a big mistake she needs to be disciplined.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The nurse was running on auto pilot. She gave the same shots that she always gives at that visit. Yes, she should have checked. She didn't.
    What to do? Write a letter to the doctor asking him (or her) to review office policy and make sure that "auto-pilot" mistakes don't happen again. Also, take a list with you of the shots you do not want to give right now, review it with the nurse before any shots are given - don't just trust that the nurse has reviewed the chart and remembers what you want delayed. Every parent has different concerns, different wishes, and the staff is rushed. Help them help you.
    Should you sue? Over what? Can you prove harm was done besides your upset? "Mental anguish" usually isn't enough to win a malpractice case.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• kaycee, that is good advice. I am a nurse but do not have a job where I can have an "auto pilot" mode. Nothing is the same!

I could not imagine not double checking orders (the doctor never ordered the hep b)!

Suing was NEVER even a thought but my mind is so flustered with anger that I cannot think appropriately about this subject.

I agree with you that having the physician or even the nursing supervisor check the office policy should be sufficient.

Regardless, as an experienced nurse. I know that the more rushed I am, the more mistakes I make. Being rushed is not a good reason! You need self control, even if people need to wait or reschedule.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• how did she do that you have to initial the vaccines you approve, at least where i go they do that
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have to sign for each vaccine that is given to my children BEFORE it is given.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 1:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would file a complaint with the doctors office, there is not much you can do really. I guess if your younger child did become autistic, them perhaps you could sue for malpractice, but luckily the majority of children who receive vaccines are perfectly fine. Personally I would be pissed as I don't plan on vaxing my kids until they are two, but I don't think you can do anything about it.
    rachel_817

Answer by rachel_817 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I never have to sign for a vaccine, but if I say they are not to get one, they don't get it. However, I have to say they are not to get a shot each time.

You can file a complaint if you wish...but did you state clearly at the 6 month visit that she was not to get the Hep B?

You do have every right to be upset, but for something about which you feel so strongly, one would think you'd be more proactive and double checking everything.

And your son being autistic, and your baby getting vaccines have nothing to do with each other. Vaccines do not cause autism. If your baby is autistic, she's autistic...the vaccine will make no difference whatsoever.
    Anonymous

• If her daughter "did become autistic" she could not sue for malpractice. It's a genetic neurological disorder, it's not caused by any vaccines.
    Anonymous

• http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/18/Robert-F-Kennedy-Jr-Explains-the-Autism-Coverup.aspx

Watch this clip. I wouldn't give my baby any vaccinations. My daughter is 12 yrs old and when she was a baby, they wanted to give her live polio and whooping cough vaccines. I refused, said they weren't safe. They treated me like I was an idiot. They have since stopped giving live polio vaccines to children because of the high rate of polio children get from them. Don't trust anyone. Do your research.
    SafeGreenClean

Answer by SafeGreenClean at 3:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009