What is a Czar anyways?

I noticed in the other question that there are now czars in our government? Is this a new thing? Can someone please help me out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well said NP..check out my Journal OP If you want to know about John Holdren Obama's science czar I have some info inside this one..

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1497987/_UPDATED_JULY_18_09_Welcome_to_a_bit_of_a_taste_of_government_controlled_healthcare

there have never been near this many czars! Listen the president appoints them and they do not have to asnwer to congress only to the president.

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• There have always been czars, just never this many. And they seem to be getting a lot more responsibility and power. It used to be a czar was a convenience - if a bunch of people kept nagging about a problem, they'd appoint a czar to that problem so they could pretend they gave a damn and still get re-elected. These new czars are actually taking powers away from the people who are supposed to have them - basically an end run around the constitution.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• wow.
    Anonymous

• Originally it meant male emperor or monarch. Now they are used to oversee areas and impact policy. They circumvent congress and report directly to the president. Essentially they are taking away our voice by not having to be approved or answer to congress.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Obama has about THIRTY SEVEN czars and GROWING.I have a list of them in the responses to that journal if im not mistaken.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Just to let ya know too there are DEMS in congress who are wondering about all these czars as well! So to stop any thinking that it is just pubs/conservatives.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Its jobs apparently created by the stimulus for the rest of Obama bin ladens crooked friends.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Like a PP said, they've been around through previous administrations (republican and democrat).

...and yeah, I agree with Carpy, I think it's too much expansion of executive branch power, and most will tell you it's unconstitutional as well.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• a czar is someone with great power and authority, like a king.

Unfortunately, Obama's new pick as science czar once supported forced abortions and sterilization. niiiice.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 4:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009