my 20 mth baby still have problem eating finger foods .she eats certain food .like cooked rice ,tofu and sometimes crackers.we eat togehter.when I give her small pieces of meat she takes it for some time and spite out..do they do like this I am so tired of her sometimes that I wanna cry what is the effective way plz help me 4`m your experince.she is still brestfeeding at night so at night I don`nt offer her finger food I feed her veg,meat,lentils rice mixed all up mixture which I grind

at lunch also I used 2 grind everthing all veg and stuff and give it to her and she would eat .now I have stopped giving her and i started giving her the food I eat but she only eats few bits why is that .I am tired .she does poop only at night .before she used to poop2-3 times and I thought she was eating rightand I was happy.how many times is normal 4 a baby 2 poop?plz help me.give me some advise

asatyal

Asked by asatyal at 1:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes they just dont like the texture of the things they need like meat. Why cant u just grind the food for her still? My daughter is 22 months and poops like 1-2 a day. Maybe u can give her lunch meat in a cracker or something, or hide the meat in foods that she will eat like cheese.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• first of all you really shouldnt be breastfeeding a baby that is almost 2 years old thats probably the problem. get her off the tit and she'll eat right.
    Anonymous

• Hey! she can breast feed her baby until she sees fit. That is not the problem her problem is getting her baby to eat meat, and if she is not eating meat then the breast milk is giving her the nutrients she needs.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Don't worry about how often or how much she poops. The only thing you should worry about with poop is how hard the poop is and how hard it is for her to poop. If she has one large ball or lots of little hard balls or if she has to really push (and cries) when she poops, she may be constipated. Other than that, poop is poop - it might be once a day, several times a day, or just once every few days.

For the food, stop grinding it. She needs to learn to chew. Since she is so old, it may take her a little longer to catch on to how to do that. Make sure everything is soft and well cooked. Be aware that many kids (up to 4 years) don't care for the texture of most meats. Make sure she gets cheese, milk, eggs, beans, and other sources of protein and just keep offering to let her taste other things. Don't force her, bribe her, or beg. Let her move forward at her pace or whe may dig in her heels and refuse to eat at all.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Oh - and breastfeed if you want. But don't let her fill up on milk. Her primary source of food should be food. If she fills up on your milk or cow's milk, she won't want to eat. If it was cow's milk you were giving, it's recommended that you give 24 ounces or less a day. For extended breastfeeding, you might consider only at naptime and bedtime - let her drink water at meals. She should be more than able to use a sippy cup and should be learning to use an open cup at this point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If meat is the issue, my doctors said it is not crucial for kids to eat meat as long as they are getting protein from other things such as cheese, milk, beans. Does she eat yogurt, or cheese? You just need to be consistent and give her food everyday, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Real food. she will catch on sooner or later.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My dd is 22mo old and she will do the same thing with meat. She'll chew on it forever, then spit it out.... I think she just wants to get the taste of it in her mouth but doesn't want to actually eat the meat.... She has no other problems eating anything else though. I agree with the above poster, just keep giving her foods, she will eventually catch on. And as long as she is still pooping once a day, I wouldn't be too worried... if she goes a few days without a BM... now that's another thing. And for the ANON who couldn't post with their name (very irritating) let her BF her baby if that's what she wants. Obviously the pediatritian has to prob with it... who are you to say any different... :)
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 11:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2009