C.I.O for a 4mths. old? Too young? Please help!!!

My son just turned 4mths old today. I need to clean but all he wants is to hold. He was already nursed, sleept for about 15min then hes up again crying b/c he wants to be hold. I also checked his diaper.

How can I get things done when all he wants is too be hold. I hate hearing scream but what else can I do? He dosent even want to be in his sling?!

Please help!!! So frustrated right now!!!

Is he too small to let him cry? I have him downstairs in the swing while im upstairs cleaning up the bathroom & putting away clothes.

How long is too long? Or should he be crying at all?

jmamom0709

Asked by jmamom0709 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can let him cry, but not too long. if you have to get something done, then it's ok to let them cry. does he cry cuz he can't see you? maybe you can get a bouncer and have him sit with you in the room while you do the dishes or clean the bathroom, ect. if he still cries, it's ok, just don't let him cry for over 8 minutes at this age. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing and I noticed that if I put her where she can see me she'll go for a longer amount of time with out crying. I've got an apartment though so it's a little bit easier to just put her where ever I'm at. Or get him really interested in a toy so that he doesn't notice that you're not around, he could just be bored.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My DD is 4 months too. She was doing this while I was trying to cook so I put her in her swing and placed it where she could see me. I literally was dancing and singing out loud while I cooked and she watched and stopped crying, then fell asleep. I'm sure I looked ridiculous but it worked!! :)
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• 4 months is a growth spurt and teething, your baby just needs YOU and needs comfort and may even need to suck just for comfort...your baby will only be young once. If its not something that life will end because of, it can be put off and your baby can be comforted. Its one thing to fuss but its another to scream, its one thing for baby to be able to see you and another to leave the baby to cry alone in another room.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• CIO advocates say not before six months.

Do you have a sling? If so, pop baby in and go about your business. Remember that even housework done "incorrectly" blesses the family...and there is NO WRONG WAY to do it except mixing ammonia and bleach. Do what you can. give yourself permission to let go of what you can't because bottom line? you only have to do it all again in six months.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Let me also suggest this, from FlyLady: Swish and swipe every time you're in the bathroom. You never have to spend an afternoon cleanng because you swish the toilet every morning and quickly wipe down the surfaces.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• my one friend said she used the snugli when her son wanted to be held a lot and she had to vacuum and pick up.
    I was unaware there was a time limit on how long they should cry. Some babies take 15 minutes to CIO then fall asleep. IDK though....I didn't hold my son all the time from day one and we were lucky that he didn't and still does not want held ALL the time. My niece is like that, and it's rough. But sitting them down and letting them scream works on your nerves!
    Good luck, there are no easy answers or suggestions. Give him a bath and see if that calms him down.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have a 4 month old as well. Sometimes, I can get a lot more done by having big brother interact with him or if while doing chores, I intereact, sing, dance or act silly. Does your LO like music or have any little musical toys. Play them for your LO.
    Sometimes, you do what you can with them in your arms and have to wait until they are asleep to do other things.
    The dishes and laundry will be there, but those moments with your baby will vanish. Figure out what is more important.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Im a fan of "wearing" my babies at this time and cleaning. Its a little extra weight added to your moving around so its good excersise and its so soothing for the baby. as you walk around if you face your baby out you can talk to him and name off things, tell him what youre doing while youre doing it. It works out best for everyone.
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 7:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I say sling him. 4 months old is WAY too young to CIO even for those that CIO
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 8:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009