Normally, how long does it take before you get your period after having a baby?

My baby is 7 weeks old and I have not had a period yet. I haven't started birth control pills yet. My husband and I had unprotected sex and now we are worried.

ny_mom

Asked by ny_mom at 2:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• 7 weeks would be early to get your period anyway. Hypothetically, you could get pregnant, but not very likely. If your nursing, it's even less likely. It's common for moms who EBF to not get their periods for a year.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• There is a big reason why many women go to their three month check up and find out they are pregnant again, don't risk it if you aren't ready for another one. When you have your period again is very much dependant on what you are doing. If you are breast feeding regularly it is going to be a while. But remember just because you don't get a period doesn't mean you can't get pregnant again. You must breast feed every three hours no exceptions to not get pregnant (even through the night). Since that is unlikely I would use a condom or some other method of BC. You may not want to start pills yet as it can interfere with breast feeding.
    Noworktodo

Answer by Noworktodo at 12:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2009