I am having difficulties with my nipples cracking really bad the lanolin doesn't seem to be helping it is to the point where I am unable to nurse my son. Pumping brings me to tears due to reopening the cracks but I have to pump! Is there any other product I could use or do you have some other advice? I never had this issue or these problems with my first child!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't wash them with soap. express some milk and cover your nipples with it and let it dry.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and... Good luck :(
    Anonymous

• Soothies
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Get his latch checked, you may think its ok but if they are cracking that bad you need to see a IBCLC about his latch just in case, nursing and pumping shouldn't cause nipple damage. YOu may need different horn parts for your pump if it causes the cracks to get worse.

OH and giving a bottle will only make latch worse if that is the issue so try to use a syringe or dropper to give the milk if you can't nurse.

Look up all purpose nipple ointment, it helps most moms
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• www.breastfeeding.com has video of proper latch, and a lot of help too. Along with ask a lactation consultant. I would contact a lactation consultant for a check if possible mama. and soon.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• ooo I nearly forgot use a nipple guard!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• keep them dry , dont use pads with plastic backs as they will cause bacterial growth an cracked sore nipples. cabbage leafs, COLD tea bags, let them air out as much as you can. hope they heal soon.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 3:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Buy a nipple shield. Target sells them, and they're cheap.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I went through this too with my second. I had no problems with my first, but my second never seemed to get a good latch. I made the problem worse when I went back to work and did not have much time to pump. I became engorged to the point of pain and it made it even harder for him to latch on. Soon it was so painful and then I pulled him off and saw blood everywhere. I had a deep cut and he threw up blood. That was it for me. I could not pump and it took 2 months to mostly heel. It has been 4 years and I still get shedding skin in the area from time to time.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 8:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009