• In the Spotlight:

Hair falling out?!

Hi -
For the last couple weeks when I get out of the shower there is so much hair at the drain! My hair is longer than usual (I need it cut badly!) and I've been using a separate shampoo & conditioner instead of an all-in-one, but still - what gives? I had a baby on Jan. 31 and I know hormones mess with your hair during/after pregnancy - but it's been almost 6 months. What do you think is going on?

(Of course if I was really worried I would call a doctor...and I may still if this continues...but I'm just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this...)

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• It might be stress. My aunt's hair did the same thing after her brother died. There was no real medical reason for that. I don't know if this helps. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• i loose a lot of hair everyday too, it is normal to a certain extent. I have long hair as well. Heres a link on what is typically normal hair loss, hope this helps . :D

Copy & Paste

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_normal_hair_loss_and_excessive_hair_loss
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It can be any number of things. This hair loss may be a new normal for you. Having a baby does odd things to you. It could be stress or diet. Low iron. Hormone fluctuation. Thyroid - hypo or hyper thyroidism. And naturally every several years or so you shed more. Your hair follicles go through growth cycles and this could be one where they shut down and you lose hair. You just never know. It's taken a year of testing and we still don't know why my hair has been falling out at a steady rate.
    Anonymous

• Mine was stress 4 awhile. But my stylist told me ppl with long hair tend 2 shed more. I got a trim & it pretty much stopped.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 6:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It is still normal to be losing hair. If you are still losing hair after your baby's 1st birthday then you need to worry. That is what the dermatologist told my hubby when he was having hair problems. After a traumatic event, like having a baby, your body stops making hair and it can take up to a year for it to finish falling out and growing new again.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You can take a supplement called Biotin and it will help your hair skin and nails
    Crashmonster1

Answer by Crashmonster1 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2009