Weed & teens???????????

My 14 year old soon to be 15 has told me he has been smoking weed, he says it makes him feel less stressed and that he wants to not lie to me. I am very grateful he has come to me but now what???

rosetoes

Asked by rosetoes at 3:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• WELL BE THANKFUL HE CAME TOO YOU INSTEAD OF HIDING IT FROM YOU JUST BE THANFUL HE THINKS THAT MUCH OF YOU TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH INSTEAD OF HIDING IT!
    Anonymous

• You need to sit him down and come up with another resolution. I was one of those teen pot smokers. Trying to avoid life. There has to be some kind of activities that he is interested in. Try to get him to focus, and put his energy in that. You tell him you are happy and impressed he came to you but as a parent you can not allow it. He has your support and together you will tackle this.
    Masonsmom407

Answer by Masonsmom407 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• as someone who smoked for years i live in fear of the day that i have to have this conversation with my son....
    since he specifically mentioned that it makes him feel less stressed is there anything that can be done to identify what is stressing him out and maybe find another release? what an incredible relationship that you two have that he came to you....and at an age when most kids dont want to tell their parents what their favorite food is!!!
    if i could only BE so lucky...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 3:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I would do lots and lots of research on it, because people say its harmless, but it isn't, I don't remember it all, but there was a huge bulletin board up at my college that had all the things it does to someone. Also, social it's horrible. Back where my ex grew up, it was big drug town. Some of his HS friends were about 30 years old, no college degree, just go to some minimum wage job, go home & smoke pot. They had no aspirations, no goals. And not to mention, the loyalty in those circles is not high at all. Not to mention there was a girl around your son's age babysitting a friend of my husbands child, she got high, and that child ended up drowning in a nearby lake. If you have some big arguement he will only rebel, but if he came to you, that must mean he is open to communication, so I would sit him down like a grown up and talking to him about the harmful effects. I hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 3:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2008