How to react when someone tells you how you should run your house?

I am a stay at home mom, who has three kids. I am also a college graduate and currently finishing my master's degree. I receive several scholarships that cover the income I lost when I stopped working and stopped paying daycare - in other words I still make the same amount of money on an annual basis.

Yesterday my husband's father's girlfriend proceeded to yell at me and tell me that I don't run my household correctly. That my job is to watch the kids and get all my errands and shopping done prior to my husband getting home from work. And that it is wrong of me to expect my husband to watch the kids when I have to go do these things in the evenings, which is about once a week for an hour or so.

She's crazy, right?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell her thank you for her opinion but you have your life under control and it works for you. Perhaps she should focus on her own life. Add that last part only if you feel it's necessary!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yes - just ignore her. as long as everything gets done why does it matter when you do it. especially if your dh doesnt mind.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 3:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• tell her its ur house an ull run it how u want an if she dnt like it she can leave
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yes she is. I would tell her how I run my house is none of her business.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• if she made this comment in your home

hand her a scrub brush, a bucket and the cleaning supplies

then take your kids to the park and enjoy yourself

bet she keeps her mouth shut next visit
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It's her opinion and she's entitled to it. It is not her right to impose it upon you. Don't let her get to you, and if she keeps it up you may want to thank her for her advice and let her know that you and your husband decide how to manage your home, and you wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by minding her advice over his. How's that for a tidy response?
    artC1s

Answer by artC1s at 3:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• LOL she is soooooooo old school! Tell her to f off!
    Anonymous

• She's completely wrong! Tell her to step the f off. Don't let some idiot like her make you doubt that you are doing right by your family - you are doing completely right.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Wow I have a relative like that and when she starts saying what should be done and when it should be done or how I do not run the house right. I tell her well you feel you do it better come over and do it and when she looks at me like I am crazy I say well then its fine the way I do it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If she said it while she was at my house.....I would politely tell her to get the f*ck out, please!! lol
    If she said it anywhere else, I would tell her she can mind her own business && keep her opinions to herself unless asked for them.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009