How do I get my daughter to stop sucking on her fingers?

My 3 year old has a habit of putting her fingers in her mouth when she is bored or tired...and I want her to stop! She loves hot/spicy things and I've tried to put a glove on her hand (she just takes it off). I've also tried telling her that big girls do not suck on their fingers but she just responds that she is "Mommy's baby" and so of course that means, it is ok for her. I am really worried about her teeth, as well as her speech, but I have no clue how to get her to stop. I'd love to get her to stop completely but my biggest concern is getting her to stop at least while she is awake.

nikspineapple

Asked by nikspineapple at 3:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It won't affect her speech so drop that worry.
    Yes, it may affect tooth placement eventually but the ADA doesn't even worry about binkies until after a child is 4.
    What to do?
    Peer pressure once she starts school (even preschool) will help a lot.
    Have an "I'm bored" box filled with stuff to keep her hands busy and/or diry. Finger paint, glue, glitter.
    Try the "stop nail biting" finger polish. It MAY help though most kids are willing to put up with it long enough to just suck the stuff off and get it out of the way.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• my daughter sucked her thumb for up to k in school and she turned to be a beautiful woman with stright teeth and a great smile.
    neetsie919

Answer by neetsie919 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• She was in preschool the whole school year and she never had any peer pressure (most of her classmates still do it too, even though we teachers were constantly telling them to stop). With her new preschool a lof of her classmates will be only 18 months old since for awhile all the kids will be in one room until we have enough to separate them. I have tried the finger polish before-she actually freaked out and wanted the polish off right away! When I refused to take it off, she just put her fingers in her mouth anyways.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 9:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009