Do you think divorce laws need to be rewritten?

I am having to write a research paper. My topic is do you think we should consider rewriting divorce laws?
What do you think? I think we should.

lisakay32

Asked by lisakay32 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it should be harder to get married. If people were forced to really look at why they are marrying and have to go to counseling before marriage there would be less divorce. If more people married for the right reasons and really believed in the marriage vows they say on their wedding day there would be less divorce. My siblings were all divorced I knew before they married they would divorce. Divorce laws are fine as is we need to make it tougher to get married.
    Anonymous

• I personally think that it needs to be harder for people to get a divorce. It might help people try harder on their marriages or really think before they marry someone.A lot of people are too quick to just divorce and forget about it than to really try and work things out. Now I do believe that cheating or abuse is an exception. I wouldn't expect anybody to stay in these kind of marriages.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

That is exactly what I think!
    lisakay32

Answer by lisakay32 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• a agree with anon marriage laws need to be tougher i know of a few couples who got married for convenience and are now regretting it. the divorce laws are fine
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first anon. It's hard enough to get divorced as it is. It should be harder to get married.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• they already did. That is why there are not divorces anymore but dissolution of marriage. Did they not teach you that?
    Anonymous

• Changing what they call it is not changing the law, a divorce is a divorce. Did they not teach you that?
    lisakay32

Answer by lisakay32 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't know very much about divorce laws, but 1) unless it's an abuse situation, it should be harder to get a divorce 2) I think that if a woman cheats on her husband and leaves him, she gets nothing.
    My DH has buddies who's ex- wives have cheated and left and gotten everything plus some and continue to go back to court to get more. It's ridiculous and wrong on so many levels.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yeah that is wrong, if she is the one to leave, then she leaves everything behind and gets nothing, unless its an abuse case. But thats just my opinion.
    lisakay32

Answer by lisakay32 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Where I'm from it's still called a divorce. That's what my papers say. I got divorced because my ex knocked up the girl he was sleeping with. I'm glad that it was easy to get a divorce from him. I don't believe I should be forced to "work" on a marriage with someone who disregarded our vows. I did what I was supposed to do.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 4:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2009