Should I do a water birth?

I'm trying to get pregnant (again) and I am thinking about doing a water birth. My first was just a regular delivery with epidural and all. I remember even saying "whoever does this all natural...props to you! cuz i never could" but now I'm thinking I may want to haha. I really want to do water birth because my DH could catch the baby and I have heard that the water really soothes your body. The pushing wasnt even all that hard for me i mean yeah it hurt, but it was the pressure on my butt that hurt the most out of everything!! haha

So ladies..what would you suggest? What are the pros and cons of each: water birth or just regular delivery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• waterbirths are the best way to go hands down. make sure that your midwife has experiance with it. some hospitals do offer it however they will make you get out to push. they are highly unlikely to let you do anything outside of their standards. a birthing center is an good alternative an choice, provided that you have one near you. read about it watch videos(library and online). make sure you are really comfortable with the idea. goodluck with whatever you choose.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 4:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• a water birth sounds SO nice-In my hospital they will let you do a water birth and have your hubby catch the baby, and yes, you can stay in the water to push- I'm not strong enough to even think about doing it naturally, but my doctor is letting my mother catch the baby- I really wanted her to feel part of the pregnancy and delivery, after all she is my mother, and helping me raise her grandson. I love my mom! I'm 21, and I don't think I'll ever be able to live with out her help and support!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had a waterbirth with my first and plan to have another with my baby that is due in 2 months. I do not regret it - the water was very soothing for me and can aid in your stretching. You definitely want to do the research and make an informed decision; and if you do decide to do it, take the advice of the previous poster and make sure you have a midwife that is experienced with it.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• thank you all!! i will definitly do it :) im so excited! im also gonna be breastfeeding for at least 11 months! i tried on the first but gave up too easily. ugh i totally regret that :(
    Anonymous