watchtower walmart

Does it bother you to have watchtower or other religious magazines passed out to you while shopping or doing other activities?

I just returned from walmart. As I walking in I noticed a table with magazines. Walmart puzzles me because in one breath they so no solicitation, yet I see religious groups there all the time. I just walked by the table. I am not interested in JW and have a low opinion of them. By the time I got inside the store I started thinking of the out rage last year when a fast food restaurant put up God Bless America in their window. By the time I left I was thankful for the table because I would rather they annoy me at walmart when I can walk away an not on my front porch when I have to slam the door because a person can't take no for an answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ive never had them handed out at public places like WM or the like.

Id be a bit put off by it but Id probably just smile and say no thanks LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would use it as a personal opportunity to tell them off. Wonder if we could have Buddhist set up tables in front of Wally World. Hmm, maybe something to ponder to see what they would say.
    Anonymous

• I've never seen a religious group outside Walmart but I have seen Girl scouts and Veterans. Really it doesn't surprise me though since the founder of Wal-Mart was a "heavy" Christian. Though due to the criticism the company underwent for it's treatment of women and gays etc It has been improving in those areas. Though depending on your national demographics it might still be biased.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• So it doesn't surprise me but at the same time they should allow other groups to do the same
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't shop wally world durning the day much because of such things. If they approached me I would go to management and let them know I don't want to be harassed when I go shopping. I wish all stores would stop letting people put tables out in front of the stores. I don't want to be asked to sign this or that. I don't want to buy cookies. I don't want to go to your church.
    Anonymous

• I would go to the store manager and tell them the reason I was leaving right then and there. I would then call and write the store head quarters and file a complaint. I too am sick of all the crap you have to go through just to get groceries.
    Anonymous

• Is it really that hard to say "No thank you" to people and keep walking?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Really you guys have a problem with a religious group sitting at a table? It isn't even in the store but outside the store. That is absurd as the people flipping out over the 10 commandments.
    Anonymous

• Kristi, that depends. :O) If I'm part of a more secular organization for a good cause, and wallyworld turns us down flat, saying they don't allow it; and then on my way out there is some religious group soliciting with permission, it's a little hard to walk away peacefully. Because in essence, they were saying "we don't allow it for non-christians."

Then again, I don't like people trying to engage in conversation with me, much less high-pressure people. And some don't know how to take "no thank you" as an answer. I don't think it's to much to ask to be able to go in, buy what I'm there for, and leave, with no one disrupting me to peddle their god, or anything else.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would personally just say no thank you and keep walking. They aren't hurting me and I don't mind them doing their own thing....I just don't care to participate. I try to be polite about it.....but if we are talking the type that won't take no for an answer even if I have offered it politely, I just keep walking quietly. They will eventually move along to the next person.
    Anonymous