• In the Spotlight:

My son is 8 weeks and has these spells one min hes fine the next blood curdling pain screams it so hard to come him down he cries so hard he turns purple. Dr. said he's fine. This is not fine. Any ideas?

vstanley69

Asked by vstanley69 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may be suffering from colic. :[
    Is it after he eats? Is there a pattern to it?
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would definitely try some Gripe Water and a warm bath or warm towel across his belly. Good luck, mama!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• gas or colic
    I know its scary as heck, but mine did the samething
    However, continue to follow up because you are Mom and you do know best and you would never forgive yourself if it was something major
    Try and relax, but be vigilant
    All that on no sleep, no wonder Moms are cranky!
    Hang in there Momma!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had that problem when I was a baby and my mom gave me some gripe water and I never did it again. I say try some home remedies and if that doesn't help consult another doctor.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If your not comfortable with what your Dr told u get another opinion to just make sure I would
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• trust your instincts
    see another doc
    if answer the same you have calmed your fears

could be colic
    my daughter had
    we used baby gas drops
    helped a bit
    also placing baby on tummy on your lap and ribbing back

doc said colic would be gone at 4 months and it was
    hang in there
    you are not alone
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Does he ever arch his back, especially when he's trying to eat, or just after he's eaten? Both of my kids had infant reflux, and the oldest had silent reflux (the acid came into his throat and burned like hell, but he never threw up). My oldest was three months old before he was diagnosed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Sounds like gas or acid reflux. Does not sound like colic to me!!! As a parent to 7, i would check first on the acid reflux, try changing the formula to something like Nutramigen, and also for gas or constipation try using a tsp of prune juice in the formula once a day. This should relieve any gas pain. Although with one of my daughters it took 2 tsps twice a day to get her to be totally relaxed.
    momofahmsatj

Answer by momofahmsatj at 8:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• do you breastfeed? if so, you might start by cutting out as much dairy as you can. switch to soy milk, and if baby still has problems, try rice milk and cut out soy. I'm dairy free b/c it causes my almost 4 month old bad gas pains. if all else fails, give baby GRIPE WATER!! I love it. my fave kind is Baby's Bliss brand, in the blue box. 100% natural, all-herbal, helps baby's tummy feel better.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I totally agree with the last two posts. Try soy formula or nutramigen formula. A little prune juice helps too. As hard as it is to watch him upset and in pain, he really is okay and 90% of the time they outgrow this by 4 months. Good luck and hang in there.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2009