What is another method?

I feel like I'm overusing the word "No" so what are some other things I could say or do to make my DD stop?

Btw she just turned 1 yr old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "We don't do that, we do this"
    "We don't do that because....."
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I know how you feel i feel like thats like the only word i use most of the time. My DD butt scoots so i have tried useing "you need to butt scoot away from there" so once shes walking I will use "you need to walk away". Good luck
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• what is she doing?

i redirect a lot
    try anything more fun than what she is doing
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• When my daughter was little and I would say no to something I would give her something else in it's place and say yes. It helped her learn the difference. Like if she was playing with something that wasn't a toy or she wasn't supposed to have, I would take it away and say no. Then I would give her a toy in it's place and say yes.

Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well, one option is to remember that they need to hear and learn what No means, but add extra manners to it by saying No, Thank You - and then offer them a positive behavior that they CAN do. It's never wise to live in an environment where No is the primary response, but it is often a necessary response. Also consider responses like Stop, please when stopping a behavior is the desired response. Redirection at this age is a great way to teach little ones what is okay to explore instead of just what is NOT okay. Then, as they grow older, they will learn how to re-direct themselves, so long as you are consistent. Once those controls are internalized, then you will not need to be so vigilant on their behavior because they won't need your external control to stop them from making bad choices - they'll be able to re-direct themselves based on past experience/consequences.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• pick her up and move her to a different spot and just keep saying no.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would still say no but re-direct her to another activity. If you get tired of saying it try teaching your child sign language. I use it with all my kids, ages 11 months to 12. It is great when we are in a public place too. You should not be afraid to say no, i am not with any of my 7 children, and i feel if you say it enough eventually you will find as they get older you will rarely have to say it cause you will have raised good children.
    momofahmsatj

Answer by momofahmsatj at 7:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• distract them with something else
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009