how do i get him too nap

OK my son just turned 2 and now for the last 4 days he WILL NOT NAP i try to put him down at 2 and by 3:30 i give up all he does is cry and yell at me when i try to put him down also i have a 14 month old that naps but now Tyler has been keeping him up too i dunno what to do cause i know Tyler needs his nap because by 5 he is so cranky and is like falling asleep by 6:30 7:00 his normal bed time is 8- 8:30 and he wakes up at 8:30-9 any advice i can't take this crankiness much longer and i can't keep him in his room forever trying to make him nap. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nates_wifey623

Asked by nates_wifey623 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try moving it earlier?
    And try letting him know he doesn't have to sleep but that he has to take a "quiet time" until a timer goes off. Check on him and turn the timer off if he does fall asleep.
    Don't hesitate to put him to bed earlier on days when he doesn't nap. He still needs that sleep and the more sleep deprivation builds up, the more he will fight sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Try to encourage Quiet Time, and like the girl above said, move the time. Can you make a new routine? Read 2 books instead of one? Get a quiet time CD for him to listen to. I have fairy tales on CD from when I worked in daycare and some times the kids liked to listen to that rather than classical music. A boy I was a nanny for was allowed 30 minutes of cartoons right before his rest time too....we do that with my nephew too....so they are sitting and winding down.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• good advice kaycee14

instead of timer the goes off with a noise, you could do a timed light that goes on when his quiet time is over (heard this for older kids getting up in am too early and waking parents)
    no risk of waking him to shut off noise timer, or forgeting

my 2 yr old sleeps like a dream, but she has other issues
    isn't always something

my sisters daughters stopped napping at this age (sorry to say)
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• my 3 year old does the same it quite time or nap, but she screams and crys waking up her 11 month old brother. we had to move him to another room as far from her room as possable. it tough i want naps lol
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 4:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• try to REALLY tire him out so he'll want to go to bed. or put him on the couch with some cartoons on and maybe he'll fall asleep that way.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 5:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I am the mom of 7 children. Most of my children quit taking naps around 2 to 2 1/2. This is fairly common. I did not make them nap, however, we found other means for quiet time. I take this time to read books, let them watch a video, such as baby einstein or a sign language or spanish learning cd. I also allow them to color or another project. This way I usually can get done the things that i would normally have done during their nap time. I in no way advocate just setting them down in front of the tv, but if you use the tool wisely, it can be a great reward. 4 of my 7 children speak very good spanish, and all my children use sign language. A great tool to have. We are researching other languages for our older children to start to learn. My oldest is 12 and my youngest is 11 months.
    momofahmsatj

Answer by momofahmsatj at 7:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with the other mom of 7 above me, almost every single one of mine stopped napping around two, but because us mom's like the quite time we feel the need to force the issue. But it really ends up being a loosing battle. And aas bad as the crankiness can be it does get better once they adjust to not having one, an earlier bed time us also not a bad thing, my littlest goes to sleep at 6:30-7:00 and gets up at the same time, let me add that it does not matter what time he goes to sleep, it could be midnight and he will still get up at that time, he always has even as a baby. So instead of making nap time a battle go with it and you might see that you are both happier and he may even get back on schedule.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Put him to bed by 6:30pm/7pm if that's when he's falling asleep.
    Anonymous

• My 21/2 yr old still naps but I have had to occasionally adjust the time. Perhaps 2 is too late for him. If I put my daughter down at that time I have missed the opportunity and she will not go to sleep (normal if they get their second wind).She needs to go down between 12:30 and 1:00. Routine is important - we read several stories in a dimmly lit room and this really helps her wind down. But the key for all of my kids was always to stick to a routine and not miss that window of opportunity. Also, well rested children sleep better. I discovered with my older two that I needed to move their bedtime earlier when they were younger because I was having a hard time getting them to go to bed. When I moved the time from 8:00 to 7:30 it made a world of difference-our bedtime routine went so much smoother. They obviously needed more sleep and no they didn't get up at the crack of dawn because of going down so early. Good Luck!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 11:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My dd will be 2 in two months.... and here lately it is very rare for her to take a nap.... she used to take one between noon and three (sometime between there) and nap for about an hour. Now she doesn't take one at all. She gets pretty cranky around 6 or 7pm, but that's when we read our books and cuddle in the recliner... she eventually gives it up and falls asleep around 8 or 9. I've noticed that when she does take a nap she won't go to sleep till around 10pm or later. I miss my daily naps with her, but I'd rather her be in bed by 8 than 11!!! Maybe he's just transitioning into not taking one during the day. Kayla used to get really fussy around her naptime, but refused to take one, now she just keeps on going.....
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 10:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2009