How old do you think a kid should be to get a cellphone?

Im not quite ready for this myself considering i have 2 4 year olds and a 5 year old but i see kids with them all the time...I was just wondering ya'lls take on it...
Thanks

0MyNameIsMom0

Asked by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• This may not be popular but I think when you find your kids have activities that take them out of your sight and require you to drop them off and pick them up and/or do carpools with other people, I think, if you can afford it, it's a great tool.

My youngest was not quite 12 when she got hers and she wasn't really asking for it, I just wanted her to have it with her. But she's on a traveling swim team and this would often involve me having to drop her off on the other side of town. It's been a lifesaver many times when practices have been cut short or cancelled due to weather or other unexpected situations. I also like it when she goes to friends houses. I can call her and check up on her as much as I want without disturbing her friend's parents. She can also stay in touch with her older sisters if they are pickign her up or whatever.

Bottom line...do what you want. To hell with what others think. lol

Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 10:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• when they have a job and pay for it

but
    9 and 12 yr old can borrow mine for special occasions
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• my daughter use mines shes 7. there are emergency type phone that you can program 4 numbers in and 911 but they can only call those numbers. my daughters 9 year old friend has one. So if shes at a friends or in the park they call her or she can call her parents. but iam stalling on getting my daughter a phone but she really wants one.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 4:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• In my perspective, I think they should be allowed to have cell phones when they know how to be responsible. Yes, meaning they pay their own cell phone or at least half of it. And know the rules of wheat time is ok to talk on the phone. I think a teen is ok but not a 5 year old little kid, come on! Maybe for special occasions but thats it...
    Salma25

Answer by Salma25 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My sister got one at 10 years old. not as little as 4 or 5 but if your really worried you might want to get one of those phones that can only call u, spouse, family member and 9-11 so they dont use it for no reason.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• There is not a magic age.

When our daughter started at a school fairly far away (a six year high school), often traveling home on public transit, we bought her a cell phone. We cancelled our landline at the same time, so we are actually saving money

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• high school graduation no lie. trust me they will go behind your back big time. you would not believewhat i caught my sixteen year old doing on the computer. just guess. guess. and this kid of mine wants internet cell phone. no way in hell on my dime.
    Anonymous

• no no no i wasnt saying for my kids i just meant any kid in general...are you kidding my kids are WAY to young...they cant go a day without a broken toy much less handle a cell...lol...But thank you for all your answers...
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Mine dd is 14. When she was 12 we got her a tracfone. She only gets minutes when her 2 months is up, so it's based on time. She has to be responsible with how she uses the minutes. Now I have bought her more before time when I was calling her often, and when she was on a trip and I asked her to call. But this way the cost is low, she can still call friends but she can't go nuts. She also has access to the computer and home phone.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• 17/18, when they can pay for it themselves.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009