Stitches covered with dermabond (liquid stitches) how do i care for the cut?PLEASE HELP!

my 3 year old fell and hit his head yesterday and had to get 5 stitches right above his eyebrow. Because he is so young and the cut is on his face they covered it with dermabond. Well it was still bleeding alittle when we got home so i put gauze over it so he could get some sleep and now he has dry caked on blood that needs to be cleaned off and i am not sure what to do because the hospital told me not to get it wet for 72 hours. I called today to ask them what i should do and they wont take my calls they keep telling me that they cant give medical addvice over the phone. Granted this hospital is nicknamed as the bandaide station and has almost been shut down 5 times. So if any one can help me i thank you in advance. I dont want this cut to get infected

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i just got liquid stitches on a cut on my hand. I'm surprised they didn't give you instructions. Do not submerge it or leave it in water for an extended amount of time. do not let him pick at it or scratch it. It should fall off on its own in 5-10 days and then it should be healed. Since you have gauze on it just change the gauze daily and it if gets wet or too bloody. as long as the cut it covered with the liquid stitches and he isn't picking at it he should be fine.

momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Just let it be. My daughter got two staples when she was younger. Head wounds tend to bleed a lot. Even if they are not a serious injury. You do nee to keep it dry for 72 hours. It may look a mess, but it needs to dry up a bit, before it can heal its self. He should be fine. After the 72 hours in you could wipe it up very gently, and apply a antibiotic ointment. This what was recommended for my daughters case. However , with the slight difference of stitches instead of the staples, i would keep calling in the meantime. Good Luck.....Hope that helps a little.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It should be fine if it's not bleeding or seeping. Try to keep your munchkin's hands off and it'll heal fine. Good luck!
    Momofqmer

Answer by Momofqmer at 9:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2009