How do I stud my AKC yorkie male?

I have a 3 yr old AKC yorkshire terrier. He has show dog champions in his bloodline and is a beautiful black and tan. He is about 8 pounds and is full grown.

I had a breeder ask me if I wanted to stud him. I never got him neutered for this reason but I have NO idea how to start!! What kind of fee should I charge? What should I write in the contract? I don't want "pick of the litter" because I don't want another dog right now.

Any advice please!!

Pieta0227

Asked by Pieta0227 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'd talk to the breeder that suggested it. Find out what stud fees are for unproven dogs. Maybe find a handler to show him for you to earn champion points and get him visible out there.
    Any good breeder KNOWS their dog is exemplary in breed standard. You don't just breed a dog because he has champion bloodlines, you have to KNOW that he's top notch in conformation and doesn't carry any breed weaknesses.

Healthwise, you'll want him checked for any diseases first. You can advertise him for stud. Demand that each bitch to be bred to him have a vet certificate of health that she is also free of disease, especially brucellosis. Personally, I'd find a breeder that knows what they're doing and have them help you for the actual breeding. Some dogs know what they're doing, others have no idea their first few times. The female has to be at a certain point in her cycle to be fertile and the breeder will know when to breed.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Contracts can vary. His first year of breeding, you don't know what he'll produce so maybe give a discount on stud fees during his first year. When you start seeing what he produces, then begin offering a certain number of "live pups guarantee". When we bred Goldens, we were often offered 2 live pups guarantee or else we could get a free breeding. I would recommend you ask for 1/2 of the stud fee at the time of breeding and the other 1/2 due before you'll release the AKC paperwork on that litter. You can expect to keep the female for at least a week unless the bitch's owner is willing to bring her over every day.

Speaking of AKC, they have a lot of information on their site about what sort of paperwork you'll need for breeding, I THINK they may even have sample contracts.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2009