• In the Spotlight:

They wont listen!

my son who is almost 4 and my daugther who is 5 just wont listen to anything i say. They barely listen to their dad. I am always having to raise my voice to get them to listen, I HATE IT. does anyone have any suggestions for me? ive tryed rewarding, punishing, bribing, charts, games. GOD everything! help please!

momie_of_munch2

Asked by momie_of_munch2 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine are older so may not work for your ages

boy 12 girl 9
    I threaten to send them to their rooms
    not their own
    each others
    the girl was thrilled with the idea
    the boy was terrified
    his behavior improved the moment he comprehended his sister going through his things

divide and conquer! good luck

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Just get down on your knees ...so your on their level not begging hehe...with both of them in front of you an explain to them what you expect of them and what you need...It worked when i need mine to clean their rooms i just tell them i have a whole bunch of things i have to do during the day and give examples and told them i need help and it seems to have worked...good luck and i hopemy advice helps....
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• thats great advise 0MyNameIsMom0 but ive tried that too.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Take all their toys away. all fun things in life? lol maybe that will help. I still have a baby but I know when I was younger if my parents threatened to take fun things away , it sure worked for me. then when i was old enough taking my car sure got me to straighten up.
    Anonymous

• Are there consequences for not listening? Yelling doesn't count. I say things twice in a normal voice, then consequences happen. Sending to room doesn't work, nose in corner works, removal of priveledges works, consistancy and agreement works.

Do you and hubby disagree in front of them? If so stop. If tv is distracting them turn it off, computer, etc.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• When my kids get and got like that I went into punishment mode. Anything I did for them, asked them to do, or told them about was about their punishment. I guess it's the way I was raised so I did the same. Life becomes a punishment, LOL.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009