My 4 mo old twins were getting their vaccs and the nurse did one boy, and he started bleeding. Then did the other boy. Without changing gloves.

Is this as much of a big deal as i think it is???
I KNOW i should have spoken up. I think about it now and want to hit her. Is it different bc they have the same DNA?

I dont get it. Thats not ok right???! My friend told me its not bad bc they have the same DNA and they cant get something from the other bc they are only 4 mo and healthy.

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Regardless of your boys being twins, it's OSHA protocol to change gloves after injecting a patient, and moving on to a new one (they should actually wash their hands too).

The use of gloves are mainly for the nurse/Dr's protection. A doc I used to work for gave me and a co-worker flu vax's WITHOUT GLOVES! lol. In all honesty, if your boys hadn't been twins, or healthy, she probably wouldn't have done this. Next time, just speak up.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't really see the problem.
    Anonymous

• I do see a problem. She should have changed the gloves and please let her boss know. These are your children. That's the way I see it. If the doctor examined one kid wouldn't you expect him to wash his hands again and then examine your next child?   I would talk to him/her about it.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• really? u dont see a problem???
    yikes
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If you see a problem why did you wait to speak up? You still haven't talked to your doctor, or anyone regarding this matter other than family, friends and strangers. I hate to sound harsh, BUT it amazes me when people will write in to column and ask for advice when the event has already occurred. If you know what you should have done, then you need to chalk it up as a lesson learned, you will do something different next time and get over it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would complain only because there was bleeding. In any other case, I would not be bothered.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 7:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It's really not a problem. Unless one child has a blood borne illness and the other ones doesn't which is very unlikely... they don't have HIV or hepatitis I assume.. there is no risks in her not changing gloves at all. The gloves are more for her own protection than anything else.
    Now, if they were not siblings then I would be upset about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If YOU feel uncomfortable with it then I would say something to your Dr. office. In my personal opinion I don't think it's a big deal. I have 5 children all close together and just the other day watched my 18 month old get shots right after my 4 month old with no glove change. I know my children are healthy so it didn't bother me at all. Now if the nurse came in the room with gloves on and blood on them from some unknown other patient then I'd be all over him/her.
    Kim3125

Answer by Kim3125 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2009