how many think that if you use condoms that you are protected from ALL std's?

considering that AIDS HIV genital warts (hpv) and herpes can be spread regardless

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• why would someone think that a condom had super powers like that? It says that it doesnt protect u from those things on the box... on the wrapper... on the internet... in health classes.... u could ask anyone.
    Anonymous

• the reason i asked is cause i ran into a few ppl who think that cause the use protection they are safe having sex with muliple partners. my hubby and i never used condoms being im allergic to latex and i never slept around so had no idea that condoms carried a warning label
    Anonymous

• I know, from experiencing a very scary gyno visit with a family member (she trusted me and needed moral support), that herpes is spread through skin on skin contact, not just contact with fluids. Meaning, any part of the skin not covered by a condom - think, the very base of the penis, the area covered by pubic hair, the testicles, etc - that rubs against the partner's skin CAN spread the virus. And it doesn't necessarily happen only during an outbreak. Hence why statistically, one in like 4 or 6 people has herpes (I don't know what the ACTUAL statistic is anymore). It's spread VERY easily.
    Scares the bejeezis outta me...if I weren't married, I'd be swearing off sex! LOL!!
    Anonymous

• To the third anon response, yes, it's true, herpes is spread by skin on skin but it is extremely unlikely unless the carrier is having an outbreak. And an outbreak is easy to detect. If you're about to have sex with someone and you see they have pimples on their genitals, just say no!
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 6:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• i didnt know that! So you can still get hiv even when using a condom? (btw, i was a virgin when i got married, dh had only ever been with his ex wife. I am naieve on sex things but not stupid. I didnt know this and have never used a condom anyway)
    Anonymous

• yes you can get hiv aids with a condom lets say one or both have an open sore maybe from shaving ect...thats how its spread
    Anonymous

• You are most definately not protected from ALL STD's since they are spread through ALL bodily fluids. Not only that but a condom is not going to protect you from getting genital lice (crabs).
    Anonymous

• preggoandfat you are incorrect. You can't always tell when someone has herpes. It can be passed on before the sore breaks out.

I'm old enough to remember before HIV. Who's to say there won't be another new STD?
    Anonymous

• Okay, anon. Do your research. And perhaps learn to read a bit better. :P

See excerpt below from http://herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_prevention_tips.htm

It varies whether you are a man or a woman. In either case, the risk of spreading herpes to a partner is very, very small if you abstain from contact with the affected area during outbreaks.

For a woman with HSV-2 genital herpes, the chance of spreading the virus to a man if they abstain from having sex during outbreaks is approximately 3% in a year. This is without the use of condoms or suppressive drugs which would reduce this risk even further.

For a man with HSV-2 genital herpes, the chance of passing the virus onto a female partner if they abstain from sex during outbreaks is close to 8% in a year.[1]

This is still only a very small chance which could be reduced by a further 40% or more with the use of condoms, a suppressive therapy or antiviral herbs.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• HIV.....I think they just have to say that they can not guarantee that you are 100% protected from HIV. Honestly, it would be very difficult to spread it with a small cut....I mean the two people's cuts would pretty much have to line up. I am all for caution....and we all have to understand that there are no 100% guarantees. Promiscuity is never a good idea. Indiscriminate sex is never a good idea. Being careful with your body and your heart and the feelings of other people is always a good idea! But.... I think we all have to use common sense. A condom only covers the penis, not the entire body! This is not really news...and condoms are still a good idea. Caution combined with condoms.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2009