Carte Blanche sinning?

I saw this in another Answers post. Someone stated categorically along the lines of "once saved, always saved" and she went so far as to say that once you were saved, nothing could change that, even committing murder. She told people to read their bibles and see it for themselves. Now I see a lot of what I call the "new" christianity; this idea that since christians aren't perfect, but believe in god/Jesus, they can do whatever they want, and all they have to do offer a quick, "whoops, sorry god" and all is well. Her post pretty much says, nope, you don't even have to do that.

But I thought somewhere in there was supposed to be the concept that you truly had god in your heat, you didn't want to do these things. That while you might slip, you don't pursue sins deliberately and malicious aforethought because you "can".

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• More on "new" christianity...with many of the christians I know in real life, they don't actively say this, but it's the walk they walk daily. But I have also come across those both online and in real life that will say, "it's okay, I'm already forgiven" and do or say something decidedly unchristian. It's sort of like that expression about it being "easier to ask forgiveness than permission". They do things the bible "forbids" permission on, then expect forgiveness after...from god; they do not care if the person they wronged forgives them or not.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Galations 5:14 addresses this whole issue. Paul talks about how we should not use our liberty as an occasion to sin. Also James speaks of good works, these are not the works to earn your salvation, but the works you would expect to see in a healthy Christian life.

Put into the context of a family, we are God's children right, so put it into the way we deal with our kids. When our kids do wrong we don't stop being their parents. We discipline them, we train them. O.K. God does the same thing in our lives. Often His first step is to convict us through the Bible, or someone's preaching, the local church, etc. Sometimes He allows the natural consequences of our actions to take their affect in hopes we will learn from our mistakes. Sometimes He brings trials into our lives to force us to realize we need Him and to draw us closer to Him. I have noticed it's really hard to actively pursue sin when I am close to God.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• This isn't anything new but is rather a point of view many Protestant denominations have always had. I guess if you're Catholic, you might consider Protestantism to be "new" since one pre-dates the other lol :-)

I agree with teamquinn.

I do not believe that it is possible to fall out of the grace of God once saved. That being said, we can QUESTION whether or not someone is really a Christian if they have no works as EVIDENCE of their Christianity, however, only God knows the heart. Jesus said to obey his commandments to show our love for him. We do not do works towards salvation. "By grace are ye saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God, not by works lest any man should boast" (Eph 2:8-9). There is no "I'll scratch your back and you scratch mine" deal with God; our arms are not long enough to scratch his back. We are saved because we accept his gift of salvation. Period.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have to agree with teamquinn, if a person is truly saved it is difficult to actively pursue sin. A Christian person who has read the Bible knows that sin hurts God and that true penitence is required. In the case of murder, that means confessing and taking the punishment.

It rubs me the wrong way when I read "I'm tempted to forget I'm saved" when a person on CM is thinking of using violence to make a point. I guess only her God knows if she saved or not.

Don't even get me started on my opinion of "backsliding". Bah! What a lame excuse.

LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• (cont) God also does not view sin in different levels; society does. Any sin is 100% unnacceptable before a perfect God. None of us are worthy to be in his presence no matter how "good" we think we are. He sees us all through the blood of Jesus Christ and we are forgiven when we ask.

I'd love for no horrible person on this earth to gain entrance into heaven but the fact of the matter is, I am a sinner saved by grace myself and am no more deserving of God's love than anyone else. God grants entrance into heaven, not rules made by man on earth. My faith and obedience to God are not contingent on a "deal" I've made with God to get into heaven. I worship him because he is real and he loves me. Heaven is just a part of that. Even if I was destined towards hell, it would not make God any less Good.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I request you all move to SC and educate the ignorant christians here.  :O)

I'm really hoping this catches the attention of the post-er that inspired it, either here, or on that post.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• roachiesmom, I have noticed these things as well. And while I understand what the pp's are saying, the people that do and say the things roachiesmom is talking about believe in their heart of hearts that since they said those little words proclaiming Christ as their Lord and Savior, then they are saved and can do no wrong in God's eyes. They can do anything they want. I have experienced this IRL and here on CM. I've never understood it and I never will. The only thing I ever have to say to those people is that they will be very surprised at where they end up when they die...

Anonymous

• I agree with NovemberLove, to a point. Just a wicked person can turn to righteousness, a righteous person can turn to wickedness. We are always free to change masters. The choice is always ours to make. Ezekiel chapter 18 says,

“But when a righteous man [this is a saved person] turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he has done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he has trespassed, and in his sin that he has sinned, he shall die.”

Jesus said He'd never let go of us. Anyone who comes to Him He will not cast out. We never have to worry about the Lord breaking His covenant. He will never let go of us; but we still are free to let go of Him.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I grew up in a predominantly Catholic area, and I always hated the people that treated everyone like dirt and said it was o.k because they went to confession. I really don't think that is the point of cofession. I think that anyone of any faith that believes they have a 'pass' to treat people poorly or behave poorly are not decent people. Decent people care about how they treat others. Religion aside, right and wrong don't change.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I Corinthians 9:24-27, says" Christian, know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air; But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: {he says he fights this fight of faith} lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. [how could become a castaway if he was never saved?]
    Paul says," Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering" (Heb. 10:23) and "I die daily"(1 Cor. 15:31) and "fight the good fight of faith"(1Tim. 6:12). Why would there be a chance of wavering? Why would he need to die to self? Why would we need to fight at all if we can't ever lose our salvation?

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009