Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Currently separated in NY, can I expect to receive spousal support? I got full custody of 3 kids

Husband was served OP, haven't gone to court yet, it keeps getting adjourned. Got temporary order for child support, but it is not enough. husband left all the bills (mortgage, electric, phone, credit card, etc....)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • It depends on how long you were married and if you have a job or are capable of working. Look up spousal support for NY in your state statutes. It's free online. Did you already ask your attorney?

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

  • Hi admckenzie, thank you for your answer. Since I am not legally separated or divorced yet, I am not sure if I am entitled to spousal support while he is being served with an OP. We have been married for over 22 yrs. I make just above min. wage. I've always considered myself as a stay at home mom. In the process of going back to school. (1 or 2 classes at a time.) Since my husband left, he depleted our joint account. Stopped paying on everything ( I mean everything) I do get some child support but not much. The financial judge said that it was not in his juridicsion to make my husband help pay the bills. I found out that he can make my husband help pay if he wants to. Since that was the answer, my lawyer is very hesitant to raise the issue. The lawyer is working pro-bono & is learning as we go along. All the websites for spousal support refers to divorce proceedings. Neither one of us have initiated divorce.

    Answer by bCraig at 9:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.