financial aid for school. do i really get to keep the money??

so im on financial aid for school and i got a grant which means i don't have to pay it back. the thing is, they didn't send me a check or anything.. but i was still able to pay for classes and get books and everything because it showed on their computers that i was approved for the grant and everything so it was in their system. but then just today i got a check from the school, it was the grant money. but school's already paid for. does this mean the money is mine to keep? this is all really weird to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are you sure you weren't just getting an advance from the school? They're not going to prevent you from enrolling when you've already been approved for the financial aid grant. You should call the financial aid department and find out what you're supposed to do.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Is it leftover money or a check for the full amount of the grant? If it's the full amount, you should call someone, but if it's leftover money, that is yours. In good faith you should use it for school, but things like car maintenance and gas are things you need to get to class, groceries are ok, because you need to eat, even "school clothes" count. That's what they told my MIL anyway when she got a check back.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 5:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would double check with the school. As others point out, the school knew the money was coming and may have advanced you the money to pay for your school costs. OR the check you got could be the extra beyond those costs. But if you blow that money and still owe the school for the "advance" then you will still owe all that money back. Be safe when it comes to money - double check before you spend it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The Grant was for X amount. School tuition and fees was Y amount. The grantor is going to uphold the FULL amount granted to you. The rest of the amount is to be used for book costs, living costs, what have you. I had the same questions when I was first given loan and grant money last year. The first time I got a check for $900 I was like wtf? Awesome! But then concerned... and called. Who wants to pay back $900? But the FinAid office said it was mine to keep.. The loan of course, I pay back after I get my BA, but the grant money was mine.

Always double check with FinAid office. Have patience for a reply back. If your school is like mine, the finaid office has lots of phone calls/inquiries on a daily basis.

Congrats, btw!
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 5:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If the money is for tuition then, NO! The school will absolutely know you have the money and it belongs to them. Trust me, I have 2 kids in college right now. They will expect you to come give them the money and if you don't they can cancel your enrollment.

If the money is for books (and you paid out of pocket) and room and board then it's yours. You should be able to tell by the amount.

Whatever the case, you are not going to come out ahead. They'll have it down to the penny.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 5:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• By the way, good luck at school! Good for you!
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 5:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• What usually happens with a grant is that ur classes will say they are paid until u get a check in the mail, u then have to go to admissions to pay the school for the already paid classes.
    It is like the school is loaning u the money until u get the check in the mail. What grant do u have?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would juste call and ask. It isn't going to hurt to ask them.
    Anonymous

• Think of it this way... if you keep it and it was a mistake someone else won't get to go to school because their grant money is gone.

congratulations on going back to school.

Anonymous

• becareful. My friend was a single mom and she thought her "aide" was free. Welll let me tell you it isn't she is now stuck with a $60,000 school loan!!! I would really look into it!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2009