Doing research on Circumcision

I have seen many debates, and heard many things about this topic, but I wonder a couple of things:
1. I have heard from moms out there that had their first boy circ'ed, but then decided to not circ any boys after that. I have never heard of a mom that did not circ their first born and then circ'ed boys after that. Has any one heard of that happening?
2. Why do moms not think it hurts the baby, but they will say, "It will be more painful to have it done as an adult." What makes it more painful? The baby just can't express it's pain, other than to cry, and I hear many of them do cry.
Also wanted to add that on Wikipedia, in the article about circumcision, it states that: "After hospital circumcision, the foreskin may be used in biomedical research,[68] consumer skin-care products,[69] skin grafts,[70][71][72] or β-interferon-based drugs." Skin-care products!!!! F'N Gross!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sounds like you are leaning more towards not circumcising mom.....My son is 6 years old and is intact....he is my only son, but if we had more, they would be left intact as well.

I did MONTHS of serious research and found no reason to take part of HIS penis away from him. It does serve a purpose. Most of the reasons they argue are cosmetic or social reasons...and that is NOT good enough for me.

One bit of advice, if you choose to leave your son whole, do some real research on how to care for his penis. Most people are misinformed about this and think you have to retract the forskin to clean....NOT TRUE! Basically you do nothing but wash it like a finger! When he is older it will be retracted BY HIM! When this happens (maybe around 6 or7 or even up until puberty) he can rinse it will clear water....

Early force retraction is what causes issues with an uncir'ed penis. If you leave it alone, it will be fine!

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• My son was...I do not know of anyone who is not so it was just normal for me. there are pros and cons for both.my son was brought back 5 minutes after it was done and he was completely fine. They said he didnt even cry and he did not look distressed at all. I know this is not always the case but they tell you it doesnt hurt...I researched it myself and heard of way more problems not getting it done. It was just easier to be done with now then have to worry about it later and honestly bc of where I live it is really normal, i feared my son would be the odd guy out later.
    Anonymous

• I know two teens who were not circ. I am friends with their mothers. One mother told me her son has always had some issues, getting infected..i have not pressed the issue but it sounded pretty gross. The other said her son was pretty much the only person in football (he did look around to see lol) that was not circ'd. .. But there are also the boys who have no problems with an uncirc'd penis.
    Anonymous

• My son is and if I have more boys they will be too.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My first son was not cir'd at birth. I had it done at age 4 because of problems. I've experience with having it done at birth and having it done later (second son). I definitely recommend having it done at birth if you're going to do it. I was with my baby when he had it done and although he cried, he healed MUCH faster than my first son who had it done at age four. The pain was much less...he cried when he was snipped and 10 minutes later he was fine. My older son was in pain for almost two weeks.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 6:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• O.K. one word of warning, Wikipedia is not an authoritative source. No one verifies the information posted and anyone can submit an article. Of course it hurts the baby but only a little. I have seen 4 of them done, the pain is more later on, not during the surgery. There is topical numbing ointment applied, and something I never knew, baby is given small amounts of sugar water. This has a calming effect on the baby. In the 4 I have seen the babies didn't even really cry. It was more of a fuss. I think more from being held down than the surgery itself. If properly cared for post surgery baby should only be uncomfortable, not in serious pain. Ice and baby tylinol or motrin will ease this. Having seen them done, and knowing the risk of cancer and other diseases it helps prevent, I would have a son circumcised. I had girls so we didn't face that decision.

Anonymous

• I have 4 sons, all circ'ed. The first one was not done as a newborn but after months of painful cysts growing under the foreskin (and YES, I kept him clean) we decided to have it done, at that point under general anesthetic. The other three boys were done as newborns, I witnessed one and he was more pissed at being held down than anything, he quit screeching when they let go of his arms. I have no doubts that it was briefly painful but they do use a numbing ointment and do it in a few seconds. The one I witnessed, it was less than 5 minutes from the time they took him from me to the time they gave him back to me and he wasn't crying then. They never had problems with healing and not one of them will remember it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well to me its not even a question. It reduces risks of cancer, disease and overall embaressment. if you dont want to do it for your sons self esteem at least remember that most come back after a few years to have their sons done,AND THEN ITS WAY WORSE. I have done rounds for my studies and seen several, half of the babies didnt even make a peep. But its all up to your own preferences. Do not feel guilty or anything either way. You have to do what you feel is best.
    Anonymous

• I won't do it. Though I don't do my research on wikipedia either. There are not enough good arguments for it to convince me. The skin is there for a reason it is a natural part of the penis. More and more boys are not having it done, so as far as embarrassment I don't see it being an issue for future generations. Besides lots of young girls are embarrassed for things like having small breasts and you wouldn't rush out and get them a boob job to fix it, right?
    Anonymous

• Genitally intact boys are actually easier to care for. No cleaning is required as the foreskin is un-retractable in infancy and there is no open wound to watch out for:

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/contentpage/pi_id/266

NOCIRC video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHVvB1oHAgg

The foreskin has a sexual role and those that are circumcised have worsened sexual function and penis sensitivity:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Sexuality.html

http://xrl.us/foreskinfunctions

No medical association recommends infant circumcision. Most boys do not benefit health-wise from circumcision. This page gives a good summary for parents: http://www.circinfo.org/parents.html

That is why rates have fallen in the USA to about 60%: http://www.circumstitions.com/USA.

Christine_T

Answer by Christine_T at 7:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009