My 4 year old is still not potty trained. Can someone help me??

Ok I have 3 kids and before my 3rd one was born my oldest was just about there and then came the girl. My youngest is now 2yrs old. My son has regressed so bad that he is withholding and is now starting to talk about not eating becausse eating makes him poop. We have taken him to the docter for medicine but he is still withholding. I don't know what else to do.

rlapierre03

Asked by rlapierre03 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son still does this at almost 12. I would say set up a rewards system. Also I add benefiber to his drink about 3 times a week.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Prunes. Can stop the prune poop.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would try mineral oil. It really has no taste and it will make it very hard for him to hold it. My now 5 year old daughter was not fully potty trained until she was like 4 years and 6 months. She would pee fin but would not go poop in the potty. She wore panties all day and we would put pull ups on her at night. She would wait until the pull ups were on to go poop. We tried everything every reward we could think. We finally had to take away stuff. She has a Snoopy she has had since birth that she carries everywhere and sleeps with every night. When she pooped in the pull ups we took snoopy for the rest of the day and night. It took 3 nights without Snoopy and she has been fine ever since. About 2 months later we took away the pull ups and she wore panties all day and night, that was about 7 months ago and she has only wet the bed 2 times and has never had an acident during the day. Your son will get there. Good luck.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Its not really a potty training issue but more a control issue. My 7 1/2 yr old son still has poop issues. He holds it and holds it. We give him miralax once a week or so to keep it from being so hard. Our doc suggested simply making him clean himself up and not making a big deal. I will admit that its frustrating ..very frustrating. I do try and allow him to express his feelings and talk about what hes feeling. Usually pent up feelings are the reasons he holds it. Kinda like an outer manifestation of an inner turmoil. Keep encouraging and make him sit at the same time everyday. Get him into a routine and definitely a reward. Its going to be okay.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009