I dont know anything about selling a car? Can we get in trouble for this?

My DH bought a junk car from an impound lot.. No Pink slip or anything. The DMV said he had to get it smogged to get the pink slip. Well he never got it completely running and with our first baby on the way its just became a mess on our property. So my question is.. We have someone who wants to buy it and fix it up for themselves... but its non-op and they want to drive it off the property before we can get it out of our name. Since its not supposed to be driven seeing as how its non operational can we still get in trouble for them driving it? They want it today and the DMV is not open on Saturdays so we cant take it out of our name yet. So what should we do? Besides that what do I need to sell it? a bill of sale? or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• A bill of sale is what you need... or if you're doing this under the radar - not registered under your name... you can just write up a contract of your own.
    However, if you have the title/registration, there should be a place to fill it out on said title to sell it to that person.. I'd have to check my own papers now to verify.

However, if your names are attached to that car in any form - legally binding you, I would NOT let him drive that car off your property without doing the right steps. He can either wait - or put up an ad on Craigslist if he can't.

How is this man going to drive it off the property when you said you never got it completely running? :/
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If they really want the car, they will still want it on Monday, when DMV is open. Require it to be towed off your property, especially if it's still in your name. You'd be liable if anything went wrong, most likely. If you're getting pressured today, there's probably a bad reason why. Don't fall for it.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with halfpint. The rush to get the car today makes me wonder what they're up to.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009