So many who mistrust doctors...

I see so many moms on here who do not think doctors know what they're doing. I see people advise moms to go against doctors advice offering links to websites as proof doctors are wrong.

If you are one who doesn't trust the medical community, how do you know the information you go by is reliable?

This stems from a question where several moms were telling a woman she could nurse on prescription meds when the doctor said no. How do they know it's OK?
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for research and I do think some doctors suck. But I think it's very dangerous to advise someone to go against the doctor when you don't even the details of the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• My mother really didn't trust doctors much when I was a child. This was bad for me because I became a type 1 diabetic at the age of 6. I grew up under no control and now have bad eye and kidney problems. My blood pressure is high and I have thyroid disease. I am looking forwards to dialysis and a kidney transplant sometime in my future. Sometimes, yes, doctors don't seem to know what they're doing. That's why second pinions are good. But...you shouldn't say that doctors are bad and not go to them or do what they tell you. They're there to help you stay healthy and I don't think that, especially with a baby, most of them would intentionally give you bad advice.
    Mrs.Frazzle

Answer by Mrs.Frazzle at 7:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think that is just stupid, moms on here have NOTHING to loose if this baby is hurt by the mom breastfeeding her baby while taking meds. The doctor however, could loose alot. Why would they say no or yes if they could loose everything? Doctors are here to help and anyone who thinks different, well I dont know...but they should listen
    Anonymous

• I shudder to think anyone takes the advice of an anonymous CM poster, over the doctor. EVEN if "links" are included.
    If you don't trust your doctor.. find a new one.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 6:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• There are alot of good doctors out there. I would go by a referal from a doctor about researching something they suggest rather than a person on here, who isn't in the medical field.
    Anonymous