My 5 months old has a runnny nose on one side, I'm nursing her and i thought she wasn't supposed to get sick? Should i take her to the doctors or is it part of teething?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Nursing doesn't automatically take any sickness away, just lessens it. She could be teething, or she could be catching a little cold. Remember, it's better that kids get sick once in a while, it builds their immune system. You could try some infant motrin. If she was teething she would probably be crying inconsolably quite a bit. If that's the case, they have teething rings, and it's best to put those in the fridge. You could also try some baby orajel. If that doesn't work or ease your concern, call your doctor. There should be an advice nurse on call. Hope it helps!

Answer by NomadSara at 3:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I don't nurse my son, but he is teething right now. He is just getting over a runny nose, sneezing and coughing. I was told by my SIL who is a pediatric nurse to give him tylenol and it seems to be working!

Answer by Luckistarr4 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Nursing doesn't cure anything... it just helps protect her from some of the strains. The runny nose could be b/c of teething, or a cold. If it's just a runny nose, DO NOT medicate her, it's not necessary. There's no cure for a cold, so you just have to let it run it's course. If she's coughing, not sleeping, etc... then talk to your doctor about what meds you should give her.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Nursing just means she is less likely (not 100% protected) to get sick or to get as sick when she does catch something. She could still catch a cold, the flu, or any other illness.

It could be a cold or other illness or it could be teething. As long as she's eating OK and isn't running a fever, don't worry about it.

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Nursing her does not mean she cannot get sick. I wouldn't bother to take her to the doctor unless she's running a fever or has a bad cough.

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Children can still get sick if you are breastfeeding. If it's just a runny nose, I wouldn't worry too much. If she starts showing other symptoms you might want to take her into the doctor, or at least call.

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 2:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008