Do Christians have a right to an opinion or is their opinion always "judging"?

I was reading the answers to this question and unfortunately it was an invitation for Christians to get bashed. And they walked right into it.

Should gay couples adopt?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/33200/forums/read/9378393/Gays_being_allowed_to_adopt?next=11#replies

On one hand the OP says, "And for those Christians that insist it "goes against God" here is a thought...So is judging people for that is not our right" On the other hand she says, "I am really wishing I could get a Christians view on this...especially the ones that disagree..."

So she really wants to get another "opinion" that she will say is "judging."

My question is, when does asking for someone to give you their opinion turn into "you're judging"?

Do Christians have a right to have an opinion?

I am not trying to start drama. And I do not want to argue about gay couples adopting kids. I just want to know if this is an unfair qu

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Like teamquinn said, the passage in Matthew 7:1-5 is largely misinterpreted. I think the way she and Cin explained it is very good. My belief that salvation is God's free gift to all is not a judgement. It is an opinion that goes along with the religion I'm in. I don't push my beliefs down anyone's throat and I certainly allow anyone who disagrees to have their own opinion. Thinking someone's going to hell for not believing is just another part of our faith system. Me believing that does not mean I'm wishing it on anybody or am sending them there myself.

If telling someone I, personally, believe that Jesus is the only way is judgemental....isn't telling me my belief is wrong and I shouldn't hold it also judgemental? It's a part of a belief system; it's not a judgement.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't even know if I can post a link to another question? I hope that is okay. If not this will be deleted.

Again, please be nice and don't debate gay adoption.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My last sentence was supposed to say. I just want to know if this is an unfair question.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• i think that every one should have the right to their opinion on anything,no matter who it bothers or who disagrees
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 7:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yes, everyone has a right to an opinion. It's when those opinions move into telling people how to live and what they can and can't do that it becomes a problem. Like, it's my opinion that the bible is nothing but a book of good stories. But, if I were to say that anyone who believes it is stupid and should grow up (which I DO NOT BELIEVE!!!), that would be judging.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Everyone has a right to an opinion. And everyone judges no matter how hard they try not to. It's not about judging or not judging, it's about keeping it all in perspective and not letting your judgements run your life and interfere with others' lives.
    Anonymous

• I think its fine as long as you don't dismiss someone Else's opinion because its not your own.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think if she genuinely wanted to understand differing opinions, she wouldn't have included an insult in the question.

It rather looks like she's just looking to start an argument.
    Anonymous

• Some people feel put down by any perceived criticism. It just too easy for some to view another person's opinion as a personal attack.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think if someone is asking for opinions, they should expect to receive opinions whether they are agreeable or not. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Even when those opinions are hateful (this excludes NO groups of people as I have seen hateful answers from every kind of person).
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009