If it you could would you send your kids to public, private, or do homeschool???

Just wondering because my fiance and I are thinking of what we want to do with our baby when he is old enough to go to school. I know its a while away for me but if we decide on private school we were thinking of putting up an extra savings account just for that, so no matter where we are financially we will have money for this. I myself did public schooling thru high school so I have no idea what home shcool or private school is like.

So just give an open opinion, and why or why not??? Thank You

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ive done all 3.....I am not dealing with the public school anymore. We are in a really good school system but I have still decided that its not for my children. We did private christian school the first 5 years then switched over to public school. Now that I am good and fed up with them, we are doing homeschool for 3 of them and my older daughter is going back to christian school. I totally disagree with the comment about religion and schools. If you practice a certain faith, then its a lifestyle and not something on the side you do for fun. Its perfectly appropriate for your children to be in a school that teaches your faith. You dont separate faith from life. There are private schools that are not religious and usually those are academically wonderful. I think your idea for a savings account is wonderful. YOu will SO appreciate it when hes old enough. If you feel anything like I do, you will feel public school is mediocre.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My husband and I are both homeschool graduates. I was homeschooled throughout my school years, my husband attended public school through 6th grade and homeschooled 7th grade on. We both LOVED being homeschooled! Our boys are only 17 months and 5 months old at this time, but we'll definitely be homeschooling them when the time comes. If you want to talk about homeschooling or ask any questions feel free to send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Once my son is old enough - he will be attending a private Catholic school.
    I believe that with private schools - especially uniforms, it's not necessary to compare who's wearing the most expensive brands or who's wearing "hand - me - downs" etc. I've never gone to public school - boarding schools, public school, and home tutoring is what I'm familiar with.
    I've been to Catholic private schools and boarding schools as well.
    Overall - you get more hands-on experience, closer with the teachers, and if it's small - you know everyone very well.
    I'm not dissing public school, I've just never been so I have no opinions on it! :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well, I am not quite sure. I went to public school myself as well and am thankful for the life experience. Although I like the structure that private schools provide. I like the thought of uniforms too and single sex schools. I don't know, to answer I would need to do alot of research.

truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• But I despise schools that are based in religion of any sort. Religion has no place in schools until after high school. Religion is too complicated a subject for children to understand

truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think it depends on the area. I went to public school, I turned out great and educated. My fiance went to Public school and he did great, just graduated college with a 4.0. We send our daughter to Public school, she loves it. She had 14 other kids in her class. The teachers at school know all the students, and the students know all the teachers. Her school has the older kids do projects with the younger kids. the kids can sit in the cafeteria with their friends they do not have sit with their classmates. If there is a problem going on at school the teacher calls home right then when issues arise.
    If I lived in another area I would either home school or send to a private school. But we moved into the neighborhood knowing the schools here are excellent. The main reason we moved here.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 7:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I was thinking about homeschooling my little girl, but I really want her to socialize with other kids her age. So I'll probably send her to public school.
    Anonymous

• Okay I went to private schools all my life and my brother too. You need to take the school on an individual basis not whether its private or public. There are AMAZINGLY AWESOME schools and INCREDIBLY BAD NIGHTMARE schools in BOTH instances (yes I've seen them with my own eyes)
    When the time comes start looking at the diff. schools available to you in your area (take an early look now if you want to preplan but things change so don't make a final decision yet) and see which one feels right to you for YOUR child (every child is diff. and not every school fits every family or every child in that family).
    Personally, I don't have the discpline it takes for home schooling. It takes a lot of patience and self-discpline and structure etc. to do it right and I deeply respect those parents that do it (right) but its not for me, right now.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• We have chosen private school for now. Although my child is only two he has, in fact, been in school since he was 19 months. Our Montessori program starts at 18 months and continues until the end of 8th grade. We have been very pleased and plan on maintaining his Montessori education. During the summers they do have camp programs available for working families or families who just want a day camp experience for their children. I have nothing against the public school we are zoned for. It is wonderful and even has a Montessori program available through the fifth grade. We may consider that as an option when the time comes for kindergarden. Right now this is what works for us. I have considered homeschooling and know we can do an excellent job. Both my husband and I are very educated and I am confident in our ability to teach our son. Yet I like the experiences he is getting now.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If I had my choice - Public School all the way! I feel that the best education children can have is to learn how to deal with all kind of kids from all backgrounds, and paths in all colors and shapes and sizes. All the book learing is really secondary. Without people skills it really doesn't matter what you know. Also, I feel they will ALWAYS get the broadest education from a public school. I don't want parts left out simply because the board of the private school doesn't agree with the teaching. Or see them fall through the cracks with a home school program because there is no one there to compair their work, growth or maturaty too...

Public school is ALWAYS best in my eyes!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2009