what's your house policy on clothes?

DH & I had a mini meeting today after daughter wore shorts to park and while climbing stuff and sliding, they rode up her thighs and undies were visable. (average shorts bought at Sears) No more standard shorts... capris/ bermuda's only. Will prolly keep the shorts for modesty under dresses. I've also posted in the past that we never have (or will) allow bikinis or belly shirts and also halter tops. (Why? The term "halter" comes from the German word for "holder", as in B├╝stenhalter, which literally means "busts-holder" and is equivalent to "brassiere". It's not for children.) Now that we've eliminated shorts I am curious where other Moms draw the line. What's your dress code for your kids?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Good for you! That's great to see that people actually care about their children and what they wear, seeing as typically no one cares these days.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Mine are too young to think about it. We don't say anything about what SS wears because it isn't over the top, but not our style, his mommy dresses him and her influence is evident big time. Our kids are hippie kids and DH and I are partial nudists anyway. I'm sure we'll put some sort of rules in play when the time comes though.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well... I have a boy, so it'll definitely be a lot easier.
    He's way too young, but once he gets older - my rule will be NO UNDERWEAR SHOWING. I don't want saggy pants, if they're saggy, I can buy him a belt. A cool one.. and if he doesn't like it, tough. I'll use rope - that'll be attractive. :]
    I don't mind raggedy clothes for rough housing, but nice clothes during nice events/company.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I ALWAYs make my daughter wear spandex shorts ( so they are tight and dont show anything) under her dresses. She is 5, but i will continue this for a long time. I try to make her shorts form fitting, without being to tight. So they don't open up. She cannot and, will never be able to wear shirts that can show her belly button. Actually any of her belly at all. Hopefully we won't have any problems. Bikini's don't bother me so much at the moment, but thats only because if she was to wear one , it would be around family only. Since we're done potty training now , i only buy her bathing suits. But the 2 yr old wears bikini's because we are potty training her. Much easier.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have a little boy...so shorts are quite acceptable. I see no reason why shorts should not be allowed, to the park, on girls. In all honesty I think you might be being a tad over-protective. Little-ones should be allowed to wear standard shorts, and tank tops (not halters...I agree with you there....) I think one piece bathing suits are best for girls, and even think I'd find one with the over dress thing attached...I saw my 4 year old cousin in one of those and thought it was quite unrevealing. I strongly frown upon short skirts and dresses (above the knees..) and really short shorts (like daisy dukes...). But otherwise, as long as things aren't showing that REALLY shouldn't be..I'm ok with most clothes. And kids underwear, as long you don't dress your kid in a thong.....should be sufficient, and it should be no big deal if they show while riding down a slide or swinging. People should be decent enough to not look.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• What I meant by underwear... is these boys who think it's so cool to wear their pants around their asses. A little riding up is fine, whatever. It happens.
    But really? Pull your freaking pants up.
    That's what I meant, BisketLiss - I don't know if you were talking to me... but I thought I would clarify!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• anyone remember the scandal a few years back w/ Cindy Crawfords daughter? My daughter was born that year so I guess it's when I decided I'd never let her "go there"
    http://icydk.com/2006/09/16/guess-whos-daughter-this-is/
    http://gone-hollywood.com/2006/09/update-cindy-crawfords-daughter-kaya-bikini-photos/
    http://gone-hollywood.com/2006/09/cindy-crawford-allows-daughter-to-model-swimwear/
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The way your child dresses is a direct reflection on you as a parent. So my daughter will be dressed respectfully. But I would never ban shorts...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have two girls 15 and 11 and two boys 7 and 3. My girls can wear tanks, shorts, jeans, just whatever, but our rule is no butts, no boobs and no bellies. I do allow two piece bathing suits if we are swimming with family at our own pool, but when we are with others in public, they have to wear a t shirt. My 15 yr old has large breasts for her thin build. Its SO hard to find shirts that dont accent them. I bought her a t shirt at the ralph lauren store that was a regular shirt. It made her boobs look so big and she got ver self conscious about it. We went up a size just so it wouldnt seem so tight, even though it really wasnt. Tanks are hard to find to not show cleavage because it slips down over the course of the day. We work at it. My 11 yr old is very modest. She will only wear knee shorts and doesnt have boobs to show so its not too bad. My boys wear whatever I put on them. The new punk neon look is actually quite modest.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well my dd has really long legs and even if I buy her shorts one size bigger they still barely cover her more than underwear. I still let her wear shorts I just make her try them on first to make sure they aren't to tight, short, or loose. My dd is the kind that will hang upside down at the playground in a skirt. We have tried so many times to remind her she's wearing a skirt and needs to keep her legs closed but alas, she won't. As far as shirts she's not allowed to wear spaghetti strap tank tops except at home. She has a couple she wears to school under another shirt, kind of like a layerd look. In she summer she can wear them around the house but must change before we go out. All her shirts must be no shorter than the top of her pants/shorts when she raises her arms up. No halter tops here either. Her bathing suit is a halter style one piece (it ties around the neck) and actually covers her better than others.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009