Why do I keep giving in?!?

I've been having a little boy for 3 months. His mom comes and goes as she pleases. She told me she was coming get him day before yesterday, and never showed up. She does this alot and every time she does; I say I'm not taking him back it's too much. As soon as she calls I go get him though. This child is 1 and he's delayed as it is and she just keeps playing games with him. I don't know what to do anymore. It's hard to say no, but my life can't keep revolving around her deciding when its convenient for her to be a mom. If she comes get him and tries to bring him back and I say no, am I wrong? I feel like he needs me but i can't keep giving her what she wants!

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• You keep giving in cause your are a compassionate, caring soul and you see a little guy in need. That's a good thing, but I also think it wouldn't hurt to put up some boundries. Don't go running, and if she says she is going to be there then make sure you hold her to it.

I also agree with seeing what the abandonment laws are in your state, so that in the future you will have a better idea of what you can do.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You would be wrong in the eyes of the law, but if you really want to be there for this little boy, then keep taking him and the next time she is gone for any length of time see if you can get an immediate custody order on the grounds of abandonment. Look into it first, and find out everything you have to do so you can have all your ducks in a row, and then the second she is gone longer than she says she is going to be, go file.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with PP. For the sake of the little boy, keep taking him, and do your best to help him along. It's our duty to help children, so that they can BE the future.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with both PP.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Call cps and ask them what to do

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The next time you have him and she doesn't come back when she says, call the cops and or CPS for abandonment. This child is NOT your responsibility. She will keep doing this if you let her. If you can't take the child permanently, let someone else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009