What would you do if this happened to your son?

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/51064322.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly don't know but the comments in the story were most entertaining. The ignorance of some people is totally baffling. If this were my child I would have a fit. The WV code doesn't have hate crime in it but federal law does. I would go strait to the FBI with this. They do handle things like this. Usually when there is a cross burning the FBI is all over that. I don't see this as any different.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would go insane.

Luckily my country isn't backwards and unprogressive. So, this wouldn't happen without some serious consequences for the attackers.

Its sick that people think this is nothing and that gay people should have to go through it.
    Anonymous

• I would be livid. I would file charges for my son. No one should have to put up with this sort of behavior.  And you wonder why they want to teach tolerance of everyone is school.

Anonymous

• I would be so pissed, I would be suing the camp because they should have protected my child and if I couldn't go after those kids criminally I would be suing their parents. So many people are against tolerance being taught in school but obviously it needs to be.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• This is the reason we need the schools to teach tolerance because its not being taught enough in our homes. Even if my son were not gay I would want him to be taught how to respect all kinds of people not just those like himself.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I would be angry if it were my kid. But the reality is that kids get teased, and this is what I believe was going on because of this line from the article:

"The victim says there were about two dozen other kids in the cabin at the time of the attack, but they didn't tell anyone for fear they would be the next target."

I doubt that ALL of these other kids were gay. SO. it must have been that they didn't want to be teased. Kids tease for all kinds of stupid reasons. It's becoming hard to separate teasing from hate crime these days...so I guess I just don't have anything else to say.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 3:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2009