gestational diabetes question?

what are some known complications of gestational diabetes not being under control and if uve had this what was your experience any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
im 30 weeks and 4 days pregannt with a girl shes already 5 lbs

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it causes massively large babies, can make your blood pressure too high, cause toxsemia, preeclampsia and heart/breathing problems for baby. There is NO excuse for gestational diabetes to be out of control- between diet, exercise, and IF NEEDED insulin shots. The only way it would be "out of control" is if the mother is being irresponsible and not following doctors orders, and sneaking food she shouldn't be eating.

I had it with my last pregnancy, and have it agian with this one, all it took was following doctors orders, and watching what I ate-

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/complications/075.html

That site should help you with all you could want to know about GD
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I was diagnosed with GD with my 3rd pregnancy, but the diet & exercise couldn't keep the levels down so I needed insulin injections 3 times daily.
    GD does not cause birth defects, but babies are generally born larger (macrosomia), are born with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), have a delay in their lung's maturing, which would cause respiratory distress, and a large baby could end up with an injury such as a dislocated shoulder. This is why a pregnant mom with GD or any diabetes is monitored closely.
    My 2nd pregnancy was never tested for glucose levels and I gave birth to a 10 lb baby. My 3rd OB believes that I had undiagnosed GD and this is why they watched me closely with my 3rd. She was born healthy, no problems, and weighed less than 9 lbs. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had it with my first pregnancy.... and it was not controlled. I didn't know enough about it and had no idea that it was being mismanaged by my HROB. My daughter was stillborn at 36 weeks due to GD.
    My last pregnancy I had GD as well. It was controlled by insulin and diet. I had to test my glucose levels 4x daily and take insulin 2x daily. I was also on complete bed rest for other issues.
    I had a weekly u/s and NST every week from 22 wks until I delivered at 34 w. My dd was in NICU for 3 weeks due to apnea issues, but had no lingering affects from the GD.
    One other thing to be aware of about GD is that the mother is at risk for developing Type 2 within 10 yrs of the first diagnosis of GD, and the child is at risk for developing juvenile diabetes as well. Everything the PP's wrote is correct, so I won't repeat it....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have gestational diabetes with this pregnancy, I didn't have it with my first. I've been keeping it under control with diet and checking my blood sugar 4x a day. I'm not sure how big my baby is, but I know we are inducing a week early because of her size... which is fine with me because I cannot get comfortable for nothing!!! Follow your doctor's orders.... I was afraid I couldn't manage it, but because diabetes runs in my family, she's on me like a hawk!!!

kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 12:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2009