Why can't breast milk be refrozen?

I was planning on going to see a movie with my DH this evening, so I moved some of my breast milk from the freezer to the fridge last night. We've had a change of plans and decided to go out on Monday. Unfortunately, everything I've read says that thawed breast milk can only be kept refridgerated for 24 hours and you can't refreeze it. I'd hate to waste that much milk. I never heated it or took it out of the containers I froze it in. Why can't breast milk be refrozen?

Mommavieve

Asked by Mommavieve at 8:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breast milk canbe frozen for 3 months
    in the fridge for 1-2 days
    out...1 hour

Thats at least what I have heard
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• next time you freeze ur breastmilk only freeze it in day to day servings so tht u wont have to waste any
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You can't refreeze most foods. I'm not sure why. I'd guess the possibility pf bacteria growing in it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• When you thaw it bacteria starts to grow in it once again freeze again and your losing time before it goes bad. You also run the risk of freezer burn. What I used to do was freeze the milk then heat it in warm tap water strait from the freezer. Took longer to warm up but it did and I didn't have to worry about it going bad in the refrigerator.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• well for one it kills all the good stuff(nutrients) and second it would taste realy realy bad.i have always pumped 3 - 4 once bags then froze them.all u would realy need is one bottle,u can feed baby right befor u leave.it would be the same as letting ice cream melt then puting it back in the freezer.u can always mix ur milk with a little bit of water(not much) if u have to.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You can't refreeze pretty much anything from meats to veggies and breastmilk. From now on don't take the milk out of the freezer til time to thaw to use, it can have warm water run over the bag to thaw it or it can be put in a bottle warmer or crackpot to thaw, theres no neede to remove it from the freezer beforehand. Really sucks.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Bacteria. As with ANY FOOD, once thawed, eat it or toss it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2009