Does anyone know if my son can go to preschool even though he is having trouble with potty training?

I live in the germantown Md. area and I just wanted to know if I could get my son into preschool even though he is having trouble with potty training. If anyone has any numbers or advise that would help... thank you

rlapierre03

Asked by rlapierre03 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You may have to do some asking around... Every where I went told me he was too old to be with the diaper kids, and couldn't be with the potty trained kids since they weren't "equipped" to change diapers...
    Good luck though!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Each preschool has its own rules about that. If youre using a private preschool or mothers morning out then likely they will be more lenient with you. The three year old class PREFERS they be potty trained and will even take them to the potty but usually its not a requirement, especially if they only go a few days a week. Like I said, its up to the individual school. If youre going the route of headstart or any government funded program, its likely the rules are more stringent. I believe in headstart, they must be potty trained. A lot of times they will accept them into the 2 yr old room and then move them when they get it down. My son is almost 3 1/2 and hes not potty trained so I feel your pain. He is somewhat interested but very immature. I bought him some undies at Gymboree earlier today so I am hoping he will be more interested. I dont do preschool though. Good luck!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I can't help you with MD but around here there isn't one single preschool that will take a child that isn't potty trained. That doesn't mena they can't have an accident now and then..but not everyday. Sometimes it just takes boys longer to catch on. Use only praise. No yelling, spanking or punishments. If you are using pullups stop. They are a crutch. Big boy underweart only. Switching back and forth confuses kids. Make a sticker chart..earn so many stickers..get a prize..( little stuff a matchbox car, bottle of bubbles, trip to DQ small stuff. Be consistant. If you're already doing all those things you should discuss it with his pediatrician. Sometimes physical problems impede the process. Stick with it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• YES ABSOLULETY You can enroll your child!!! Every child has a different time frame on potty training and ANY quality child care/kindergarten program will apprecitate that and help you out. I have taught child care for 15 years now and kindergarten for 5 - every kid has his/her own pace and you don't need to worry about his/her academics as a sidebar. ENROLL the munchkin and feel good about it!!!
    Momofqmer

Answer by Momofqmer at 9:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't know about Maryland, but where I live in Kentucky, I was told it was not a problem if he goes. However, my son does NOT want to be trained. He does not want to poop on the potty, and I told him that pre-school was for big kids who use the potty every day. I am not going to allow my kid to go to school if he is acting like a baby. When I told him that, he started working harder to poop on the potty.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• every school i worked at they wouldn't let them because that is a major strain on the teachers to deal with curriculum, behavior training, schedules AND one kid that needs to be changed. not to mention, i've been a good number of places that the teachers would love the kid that was having bathroom problems but wouldn't like him if you know what i mean... kids can sense that. but true, most of these kids' parents shoved them to us for US to raise THEIR child but still... most places just see that as a big hinderence. but good luck looking.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 9:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yes you can put your child into preschool when they aren't fully potty trained but you do have to ask around or tell the school that he/she isn't potty trained and they will help you out with that while he/she's at school
    TwiztedAngel78

Answer by TwiztedAngel78 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• A preschool won't accept a child who isn't trained; they're places for big kids who are ready to learn. Places that call themselves preschools but are actually daycares usually will because they're designed to raise children and parent them when they're parents aren't around. Another option is an inclusive preschool that accepts kids with disabilities. We have one of those through our school district; the enrollment ranges from kids with pretty severe disabilities to kids with mild learning difficulties to neurotypical and physically able kids. A lot of the disabled kids aren't trained by age 3 so they have to have diaper changing facilities anyway so it's not a big deal for them.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It depends on the school, so this isn't an outright yes or no. The school i worked in was ages 2.5 through 6 and must be potty trained. We would not take one who wasn't as we didn't have facilities for changing diapers, and our state certification didn't allow diaper changes. Call and ask!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• It does depend on the school, my son's preschool does not accept children until they are at least 3 years of age and potty trained. My friends mother is the director of a private preschool and they too require the children to be at least 3 years of age and potty trained. My local head start program does not require the child to be potty trained. If you have a school in mind just call and ask what their requirements are to be enrolled. There is a difference between child care and preschool, so while the child care center for older children (3 and up) may not require potty training, most curriculum based preschools I know of do require it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2009