Has anyone heard of a 2 year old having an ovarian cyst

my daughter was just in childrens hospital for a severe UTI and while there they did a kidney scan to make sure her kidneys were ok the scan showed normal for her kidneys but it also showed that she has a tiny cystic structure in the left lower pelvis that is felt to be within the left ovary i have never heard of a two year old have a ovarian cyst before and i am very concerned if anyone has ever had this happen to them please let me know im not sure what i need to do know if i need to take her to a specialist or not the hospital just told me to follow up with our doctor if she complains of pain i just find it weird is all PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE

starkeyheather

Asked by starkeyheather at 8:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if this is the same thing, it is called an ovarian cyst torsion, so it may not be, anyway I found it by googling:

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/150394105-2/jorg=journal&source=&sp=22209720&sid=0/N/700964/1.html?issn=0735-6757

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You know, I have never heard of this. BUT, as a person who does have cystic ovaries, I wonder if they have been there all along, just were never discovered. It may be that you just happened to get a test which revealed them. Please update us if you find out anything. Did her urologist say anything about it other then to follow up?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have actually heard of this. my daughter was born with a teratoma, so we have experience. I dont know if it is the same thing your daughter has but here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrococcygeal_teratoma
    Jujulovies

Answer by Jujulovies at 12:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• it was hard to find a doctor that had any idea of what we were talking about, so we did a lot of follow up with our surgeon. i would have it checked, they can also do a blood test called AFP or alpha-feta protein to let you know if its an actual tumor or not. If it's not bothering your daughter you can have it checked on later to see if its grown or not. If its something you want checked on speak up and let your doctor know!
    Jujulovies

Answer by Jujulovies at 12:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2009