My 4 month old cries if he's not held and It's very difficult. Is this normal?

This is my first child. I'm a married mom. I breast feed and express milk - mostly so I can bring him to my moms and get some freedom. He has always been what I would consider a fairly difficult, yet happy baby. That seems like a contradiction, but he loves to laugh and talk and be the centre of attention. Lately, the last week or so, he seems to be changing. He has always needed to be held a lot. I can't seem to put him down though. Every time I try, he SCREAMS like crazy. He was like this the first month or so after being born as well. It really started after his 4 month shots and he's teething at the same time. I'm struggling with this. I want him to have some independence. He used to LOVE his swing. Which was a nice break for me. Now, he won't tolerate it more than 2 minutes - if I'm lucky. I have stations. Of course, we play and talk a lot. But I need to take care of myself as well (eat, bathe :) )

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it's difficult. My daughters were both like this and my 4 month old son is going through it too. The teething doesn't help any. The only thing I can recommend as far as eating is do it while wearing him. The snugli is my best friend. I use it to get some cleaning done, eating, and even a little computer time. As far as bathing, I do that when my husband is home so he can take care of the baby's needs long enough for me to shower. Believe it or not it actually leads to a more independent and secure child. My 4 year old is a very independent little girl, and my 17 month old is starting to become more independent.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yeah i reccomend snugli's when they are really young. better if they face out so they can see things that interest them, you don't have your arms around him and always spend time doing some things with him on the floor so that he knows you are there but he will be naturally curious and after he is done feeling crappy from teething he will need you less and less. if you are holding him with your arms, ive noticed that babes get attatched to that connection with you. but if you are just near by they get used to that too. and the near by is better for long term because you will always be near but you won't be able to hold them.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 9:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• you could try one of those baby wearing things and at 4 months they can alostart on the excersaucer's (saved my sanity)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:01 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• does he like an escersoucer/ walker/ jumperoo at that age my oldest loved them. Baby wearing will make him feel more secure and able you to get things done. Ialso would try baby einstien dvds my first son loves them still , he's 2 1/2 and my youngest watches baby beethoven so I can get 30 min to myself he's almost 4 months, I know it's terrible but it isn't really as long as your not having the TV babysit all day.
    As for teething have you tried Hylands teething tablets , they are amazing. If your doctor will give you majic mouthwash even better, also a little chamamile tea will help and also works for upset stomache and colic.
    myscreamer

Answer by myscreamer at 10:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009