Nursing after stopping?

Hi, ok so I tried to stop breastfeeding due to going back to college in about a month. I really miss it and do not feel it's best for my son. I'm still nursing him at night like once a night but my milk supply has gone way down. I barely leak ever and the supply seems to be decreasing even more that i've started weight training. So I want to start nursing again, besides mothers milk and fenugreek, what can I do? I should have never stopped but now I see how important it is to me. I have not nursed him for almost 3 weeks except for the middle of the night, which I think is more for his comfort. Help!!

CollegeMommy009

Asked by CollegeMommy009 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok nurse nurse nurse, up water take the 9-12 fenugreek, eat oatmeal and nurse nurse nurse...pump between nursings. Be willing to spend 2-3 days doing nothing but allowing him to nurse ALL day. Count diapers and if you get 6 diapers with a really wet one being 2 diapers you have enough milk. MOST moms feel supply has dropped because of not nursing enough BUT its SOOO easy to up supply when you work at it that usually its ok.

Don't give bottles unless diaper counts are low, just nurse more often. Allow baby to stay on the breast as long as he wants. If hes getting the diapers he not starving. If diapers a low use a syringe after nursing for maybe an ounce or two of formula...or if you have pumped anything use that instead.

Get that baby to the breast, the more milk he removes from the breast the more you make.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Put him to breast put him to breast put him to breast! That's THE MOST important thing to do.

Google "relactation."

100 percent possible to be fully nursing by the end of this week, unless you have a mastectomy along the way!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You need to stop giving formula or whatever your doing, and NURSE NURSE NURSE!! :) Simple as that. Supply & demand! You can take the fenugreek and mothers milk but those won't work unless your constantly nursing also. :) Good luck!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thank you so much for the quick replies!! I feel like I can start nursing again, i'm super happy!! Thank you!!
    CollegeMommy009

Answer by CollegeMommy009 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Nurse constantly. Pump when you're not nursing and feed him whatever you are able to pump AFTER you've nursed him. When he pops off and seems "done", put him to the other side. Then put him back to the original side. This quick switching nursing helps increase supply. If he will only nurse at night, try waking him up once or twice a night for a nighttime feed and nurse then- just for a few nights to help increase your supply.

Good luck!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2009