non stress test?

does anyone know what they base the non stress tests on like what results are best or any kind of information

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NST's are based on the number of movements your baby makes in a certain time frame, the heart rate, and number and severity of contractions. There are times when a baby is less active, so doctors will have you drink something, or eat something to see if that gets the baby to do more. They also make sure the baby has a heart rate that is within normal ranges, and does not have to many differences in speed. I had NST's 2 times a week for about 2 1/2 months with my oldest feel free to pm me if you have any questions about them.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• ok so i know this isnt an answer but i was wondering what is a non stress test?
    MrandMrsDiego

Answer by MrandMrsDiego at 10:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• To answer MrandMrsDiego, a Non-stress test is where they hook up to a monitor by placing what look like waifers on your preggie belly. One measures the muscles in your abdomin and the other measures the heartbeat. (you get to hear the heart. . . so cool)

What they are looking for, in my experience, is 10 movements in 1 hour. They also want the heartrate to pick up during the movement and then return to "normal." If the baby isn't active they may "buzz" you with a little device to wake the baby up. They may also have you drink or eat a snack to raise your and your baby's blood sugar. Finally, if the baby isn't active or the heartrate drops too much they may do an ultrasound to check the baby's condition.

My advice, schedual the tests when the baby is active, have a light snack or juice before, take a book and relax.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Oh, BTW I had NST with both of my babies with very different experiences so feel free to message me if you have any questions or anything.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2009