Do i have to use baby cereal!?

My daughter is almost 6 months is it necessary to start her on cereal or can i just go straight to veggies and fruits ?!?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 9:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You introduce one food at a time to watch for allergies.

Also, from Kellymom.com

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

• Baby can sit up well without support.

• Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.

• Baby is ready and willing to chew.

• Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.

• Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't think you would have too. I used it until they got using with a spoon down. I also then would mix it with veggies and fruit. Since they are eating more they drink formula less so I would mix it with formula so they are still getting the nutrients.
    Anonymous

• You never need to use cereal. Unless you want to support Gerber, Beech-Nut, et al. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• no, you don't have to use cereals. I'm not going to with my 4 month old. We also eat Paleo as well (no grains, no legumes, no starchy veggies).
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• nope! when my DD gets 6-8 months we'll probably start with avocado first, then sweet potato.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I planned to skip cereal too but it turns out my son's favorite thing in the whole wide world is white, pasty baby oatmeal!!

blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• so since she is 5 and half months can i just start on veggies ?!?! and fruits?!
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 9:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yes, you can. You should introduce one at a time and wait at least a week or so before trying the next one. My son's first food was avocado. He was not a big fan of it!!!
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• so if they dont like it , then dont feed it to them anymore ??
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 9:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It took my son quite a while to like anything - except baby oatmeal which he liked right away! I just kept trying with things he didn't like. Now he eats some of them, but still won't touch others.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009