How long does it take to fully recover from wisdom tooth extraction?

I got all four wisdom teeth pulled July 9 and it still aches and I have tingly pain in my gums. I've read about people who were fine by the next day, but it took me 5 days just to stop bleeding, and one of the holes is large enough to park a gumdrop in. The surgeon warned me my recovery time might be longer because I'm older (28 years old), all 4 wisdom teeth were impacted and below the jaw line, and one of the teeth was infected, and the infection had eaten away at the supporting bone tissue and nerve, which was why I was in so much pain apparently. Because of that one tooth, I'm supposedly at risk for permanent bone loss in that one area, and nerve damage. So I guess I have a few questions: how long will I be in pain? how long will I have big holes? Will the tingly pain ever go away (because of the nerve)?

jazzminesun

Asked by jazzminesun at 9:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• Your case sounds like it's going to be a long recovery hun, get yourself out of the house and get your mind off of it!! I had 2 wisdom teeth taken out in boot camp. My bottoms. I was only allowed 2 days in my bunks to take off to deal with the pain. I found out I was allergic to the vicodin (Sp?) they gave me 4 pain, so all I had to take the edge off was 800mg ibuprofen which were a GODSEND. I was still in a lot of pain when I had to go back into training but the training itself was so tiring that it took my mind off the pain and I usually took a pill when I woke up, one halfway thru the day and one before bed (because the pain would wake me otherwise) I really depended on the ibuprofen to get me through the pain and idk how long before the pain was gone but it couldn't have been more than 2 weeks. My top wisdom teeth came in with NO problem, I didn't know they were in so I'm leaving them. Good luck!!!

Anonymous

• 3 weeks for me and i did 2 at a time
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think it took me 2 to 3 weeks before I was fully better. I had all 4 cut out at 1 time too. The bottom 2 were impacted with the nerves wrapped around the jaw bones, and the top 2 were still in my sinus cavity. I was 20 when I had mine. Be very careful not to get dry socket. And use the little syringe thing to clean out the holes. If it isn't better in a week or 2 go back.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I just took the weekend off and was back at work by Mon, mine were all impacted so they had to put me out. If you are still in so much pain, go back to the dentist, you may have dry socket or have gotten an infection.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The tingly pain isn't so bad, just annoying and it makes it difficult to concentrate. It's kinda like that tingly pain you get when your foot falls asleep and you try to move it and it's not in the sockets themselves but more like a generalized pain in the base of my lower teeth. Not too worried about dry socket since it doesn't taste or smell bad.
    jazzminesun

Answer by jazzminesun at 12:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2009